Sago sabudana upma recipe
Sabudana upma - tapioca pearls recipe
Sago Sabudana upma recipe
is made from sago or tapioca pearls. It is a popular Indian recipe in
Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Rajasthan. It is a easy breakfast recipe.
is known in Indian languages as sabudana/saboodana(Hindi - Marathi),
seeme akki, sabbakki(Kannada), javvarisi (Tamil), saggubeeyam(Telugu)
Sabudana upma can be made for breakfast, filling snack, or a meal.
Sago or tapioca pearls cook very fast but you need to soak it for an hour or so.
If you are looking for a fasting food recipe, go to sabudana khichadi recipe
How to make Sabudana upma
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- Sabudana (sago - Tapioca pearls) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Green chilies - 2-3 more or less according to taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste
- Vegetable oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Potato - 1 medium sized
- Fresh coconut , grated - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves / cilantro - 1 tbsp chopped
- lime juice - 1/2 tsp
- Rai (mustard seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp chopped
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- fresh green peas - 1 tbsp
- Chopped capsicum - 2 tbsp
- chopped tomato - 1/4 cup
Preparation before making upma
We need to soak sago before cooking.
- Add sabudana to a bowl.
- add some water and wash well.
- Remove all the water. Add 2 tbsp water and leave the sago to soak for 2-3 hours or
longer. You may also leave it overnight. The amount of water we soak the
sago in is important. Too much water will make sabudan mushi and too little
water will not soak it properly.
- Chop onion and green chili.
- Chop the potato in thin pieces. You may peel it or not according to your choice.
Method to make sago - sabudana Upma
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai/pan.
- Add mustard seeds(rai) and
jeera(cumin seeds). Let them splutter and then add the chopped green
chilies. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry them for a minute.
- Add chopped ginger and chopped potatoes. stir and cover.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes on low flame till onion is transparent and potatoes are just cooked.
- Add the optional ingredients now if adding. Fresh peas, capsicums and tomato and stir.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sago mix and stir well to mix properly.
- Cook for 2 minutes stirring often. You may cover and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame. Add ghee now if adding. Mix well.
- Add fresh grated coconut, coriander leaves and lime juice. mix well.
Or you may add coconut, coriander leaves as a garnish while serving and serve with a lemon wedge.
Sabudana upma tastes great as a hot breakfast or even as a cold dish. A good dish to take for lunch too.
Adding a tsp of ghee (clarified butter) adds to taste and flavor.
- Soaking time is a must. Add water carefully. Do not add too much
in the beginning. After soaking for an hour, if any water remains, pour
into a colander so that all excess water drains away. We want each
sabudana grain soaked but separate when mixing with groundnut powder.
- You can keep sabudana soaked and in the fridge for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Sabudana upma keeps good in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just reheat before serving.
- Leftover upma can be used to make sabudana vada or sabudana thalipit.
- Sago upma is not acceptable for vrat/ upvas/fasting as it contains onion.
Go to Breakfast recipes
From Sago Sabudana upma recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Sago Sabudana upma recipe