Vanilla Custard Tarts With Mangoes
by Meera Mohun
(Surinam, Republic of Mauritius)
Vanilla Custard tarts with mangoes is a sweet or dessert recipe that you can make for a party or a festival.
Kids as well as elders will love it.
You can make the tart cups in advance when you have time and store them.
On the day you want to serve these tarts, make custard, cut the fruits, assemble the mango tarts and enjoy.
So convenient, isn't it?
Ingredients for the Tart cups1 cup plain flour1/2 cup whole wheat flour1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces2 tbsp sugar1 tsp lime juice5 to 6 tbsp icy cold water
- In a bowl, mix in both the flours and the sugar.
- Put in the cold butter and using a pastry blender or with your hands rub the butter into the flour until there are no lumps and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, process the flour with the butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.)
- Sprinkle the lime juice and the water and mix quickly until it forms a ball. (If using a food processor, add the water and process for a few seconds until the mixtures come together and forms a mass.)
- If the mixture is a little dry, you can use a few drops of cold water.
- Gently knead the dough for about 10 to 15 seconds, cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about 3
mm thickness and using a round cookie cutter which is a little bigger than your tart mold, cut out rounds and line the tins or molds. (If you don’t have a tart mold,…simply cut rounds and lightly press them into muffin or cup cake tins.)
- Prick with a fork all over and bake in a pre-heated oven at about 180 C/350 F for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing the tarts from their tins.
Your tarts are ready. Store in a airtight container if you wish to serve later.
Ingredients For the Custard :1 cup and 1/4 cup milk3/4 cup fresh cream 3 tbsp vanilla custard powder3 tbsp sugar
Making custard:In a saucepan, mix in the milk and the cream In a small bowl, put in the vanilla custard powder. Take about 1/4 cup milk from the saucepan and mix it with the custard powder to make a smooth paste.Mix in the sugar with the milk in the saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.Lower the heat and put in the custard paste, stirring all the while and bring to a boil. This will take less than a minute.Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
Assembling the Tarts before serving :
Spoon a little cooled custard over a completely cooled tart.
Garnish with a few pieces of finely chopped mangoes.
Serve and enjoy the tarts as well as the appreciation of the family.