Kohlrabi Recipes - Navalkol subji
Knolkhol Recipes - Knolkhol bhaji
are a few Kohlrabi recipes that are simple and easy to make.
Kohlrabi is called navalkol(Marathi), NaviluKosu (kannada) and knolkohl. It is a turnip
like vegetable and belongs to cabbage family.
Navalkol bhaji - Kohlrabi - knolkol subji
Ready to serve Kohlrabi Subji - Navalkol bhaji in the image above.
Kohlrabi is cooked by itself or with lentils. It is a
good accompaniment with chapati or with steamed rice.
This recipe of kohlrabi does not use many spices. You need to remove the skin of Kohlrabi
and use only the inner fleshy part. You can also use the leaves if they are tender.
If you wish, you can use your favorite spice powder, or a different masala powder for this subji so that
you can get different taste each time.
Use garam masala or coriander and cumin seed powder or only red chili
I am using only red chili powder in the recipe below. It tastes great.
How to make Kohlrabi subji - Navalkol bhaji
Main ingredients for Kohlrabi subji - Navalkol bhaji
Ingredients for navalkol subji - kohlrabi subji for 4 servings:
fresh grated coconut
split chickpeas - chana dal
red chili powder
- Kohlrabi - 2 cups, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Red chili powder - 1/4
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to taste.
- Bengal gram dal - 1 tbsp,
soaked for 30 minutes.
- Freshly grated coconut(optional) - 1 tbsp.
jaggery - 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Oil -1tbsp.
powder(optional) - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1/2
- Cumin Seeds 1/2
- Asafoetida(hing) : a pinch.
Step by step cooking instructions for making navalkol bhaji
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When
they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida (hing)and turmeric powder.
- Add chopped kohlrabi, soaked Bengal gram dal.
- Mix and
Cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, curry leaves, salt, sugar.
- Stir and
continue cooking. Add a little water if necessary.
- Cover and cook on low flame till kohlrabi is done. To check if kohlrabi is done, press a piece with a metal spoon or blunt knife. If it pierces easily, your kohlrabi is cooked.
- Add coconut and chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro).
- Mix well.
Serve it with chapati or Steamed rice.
Tips and variations
Do not add too much water to this recipe. Kohlrabi contains enough water. When you add sugar
and salt, this water will be released. If necessary, add one or two spoonful of water
- To reduce final cooking time, you can steam chopped kohlrabi for 10 minutes before adding
- Or you may pressure cook navalkol after chopping. It will take about same time as plain rice. So you may cook it in a pressure cooker in a separator along with plain rice. Add the chana dal in the seperator along with navalkol pieces. After the cooker cools down, make the tempering as shown in step 1 and 2 and then add the cooked navalkol. Add all the other ingredients and cook for 3-4 minutes.
For another kohlrabi recipe go to
and Lentil Curry - Knolkol and Masoor(Red Lentil) Curry.
You might like these
Find here a variety of easy Indian Vegetable recipes. Cooking vegetables is easy when you know what ingredients to mix.
bhogichi bhaji winter vegetable stew recipe. Also known as 'lekurvali bhaji' in Marathi. Bhogi, the day before Makar sankranti festival.
Indian Stuffed eggplant or brinjal is a specialty from north Karnataka and Maharashtra. Known as bharvan baingan, Bharli vangi and Tumbid badnekai, this stuffed eggplant curry is served with jowar or bajra bhakri, millet flat breads.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.