Mung Beans and Basmati Rice Recipe
by Karina Gibson 24
(Sheffield, England, UK)
Ingredients for Mung bean and Basmati Rice
- 1/4 tsp spoon mild curry powder
- 3 green capsicums
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp of butter/margarine
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 black course pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1/2 cup of mung beans
- 1/2 cup of rice (washed)
- 4 cups of water (add more if needed)
How to cook Mung bean and basmati rice
- Get a large pan and add in a little oil,add chopped onion and one clove of garlic, add chopped capsicums,curry powder, chili flacks,salt,pepper and garam masala, as well as cinnamon stick (optional).
- Add your water (this can be bottled or tap depending where you are in the world).
- Then add your mung beans. Once the pan is boiling, turn down to a simmer and wait 30 minutes until beans are cooked (they will turn a brown color slightly)and add the butter.
- When the butter melts, add your washed white basmati rice (wash this until the water is clear and add a pinch of salt while washing, this will help get rid of the starch).
- After 10 minutes the rice will be cooked and you put your rice in a colander leaving just a little liquid, return to the pan and warm till the liquid has gone.
- The liquid you get from the colander, do not throw away as this is a wonderful soup and can be used as a starter. I like this with tandoori chicken and a salad is recommended.
The last thing is to enjoy your meal!
Variation - The original recipe adds 1 tsp of chicken stock granules along with curry powder. You may add it if you wish.