Mixed veg and whole grain flours paratha
by Reena Nigam
(Mumbai, Maharastra, India)
Parathas are a great dish to serve for breakfast. When you add vegetables and a variety of grains to make these mixed veg paratha, it becomes still healthier.
You know you and your family need a healthy breakfast to give a great start to your day.
You may also serve it for lunch, dinner or as a filling snack. It is a great dish to take for picnic too.
If you do not have all the vegetables with you, add the ones you have. But the more variety you add, the better for taste and health too.
If you do not have all the whole grain flours, don't worry. Whole wheat flour is a must but add other flours according to availability and your and your family's liking.
You may store the mixed dough in the fridge for 2-3 days and make hot parathas when you want.
Ingredients for mixed veg paratha: Grated carrot - 1/2 cupGrated cabbage - 1/2 cupGrated cauliflower - 1/2 cupGrated & squeezed bottle guard 1/2 cupFinely chopped big onion – 1(about ½ cup)Chopped fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp2 green chilies (more or less according to taste) – chopped fine Grated gingerSalt – 1 tb spoon - more or less according to taste. Red chili powder - 1/2 spoonTurmeric powder - 1/2 tea spoonMixed flour of different grains – 1 cup wheat flour, 2 big spoons gram(chickpea/Besan) flour, 2 big spoons oats, 2 big spoons sattu flour(also known as Finger-millet/Nachni/Ragi) and 1 big spoon maize flour, 2 big spoons rice flour. If you do not have all the flours, you may use a mixtures of the flours you have.Water – add needed for dough.Oil – as needed for shallow frying.
Method to make mixed veg paratha
- Mix all flours, vegetables and spices well.
- Add water as needed and knead it well. Keep aside for about 15 minutes.
- Then make small dough balls about size of a big lime.
- Now roll the paratha as a round circular shape like a chapati.
- Heat a tava (girdle, flat frying pan). After the tava is hot, keep the heat medium.
- Put the rolled paratha it on tawa. Cook well on both the sides with a little oil. The paratha should get brown spots on both the sides.
- Remove for the tava and serve immediately or keep covered till ready to eat.
Serve with your favorite pickle or chutney or raita.
Mixed veg paratha is a great filling breakfast dish and healthy too. Enjoy