Lentil Pancake Vegetable Adai Recipe
by Shobana Viswanathan
Lentil pancakes or vegetable adai is a South Indian breakfast recipe.
Adai provides you with protein. It is a great recipe to make for breakfast.
The batter can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge.
You can make adai as and when needed.
You can add the vegetables that you have in the fridge and according to what your family likes.
How to make lentil pancakes - Vagetable adai
List of ingredients and the quantity for vegetable adai1 cup rice 1/2 cup uraad dal 1/2 cup tuar dal 1/4 cup moong dal 1/4 cup chana dal 4 to 5 red chillies half teaspoon of hing powder 2 teaspoonful of curry leaves one cup of chopped vegetables consisting of onion(optional), carrots, cabbage and spinach(optional).
Preparation to do before cooking -
- Soak rice and dal for about 2 hours.
- Grind coarsely the rice and the dals along with red chillies.
- Add hing powder,curry leaves and salt. Mix well.
- Keep it aside for some time.
- Before making,add the chopped vegetables. Mix well.
- Batter is now ready for making adai.
Step by step cooking instructions for making adai-
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add one teaspoon of oil in the pan, wipe it well with a tissue paper. The pan is ready.
- Then pour a laddleful of Adai batter make small size circular shape (like small dosas/pancake). Pour 1/4 tsp oil around the dough.
- After it starts leaving the sides, turn it around. reduce the flame.
- When it gets cooked and turns slight brown, remove from the pan.
- You can serve Adai with coconut chutney or green chutney.
- Age old grandmom's taste: Adai should be had with home made white butter and jaggery. Tastes yummy.
- A small splash of ghee on the adai while cooking it adds yummy flavour.
What variations can you make with this recipe?
U can make adai plain, without vegetables,or with any one of the vegetables depending upon your taste.
Why my family prefers Adai:
- Its made of pulses hence proteins are supplied to the body and vegetables add to the nutrition.
- It can be had for dinner or breakfast or as a heavy evening snack.
- The dough can be stored in deep freezer for a fortnight. Can be used in emergencies.