Beans Thuvar dhal dry subji recipe
by Jayasree Rajagopal
This healthy beans and thuvar dal dry subji is a healthy accompaniment to any meal.
Serve it as a side dish for rice or chapati. You may serve it for lunch or dinner.
It can be served hot or at room temperature.
You can send or take it to school or office along with chapaties or plain rice.
That is convenient as you can make it in advance and serve later.
How to make beans and thuvar dhal subji - curry
List of ingredients and the quantity for serving 2 persons.
- Green Beans - 150 gms
- Thuvar dhal(Toor dal - yellow lentil)- 100 gms
- Onion - 1
- Red chillies -3
- Vegetable oil - 4 table spoon
- Hing (Asefoetida) - a pinch or to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Preparation to do before cooking
-Wash thuvar dal, add enough water to cover it. -Soak thuvar dhal for 1 hour. Drain excess water and keep aside.
-Grind the dhal with red chillies and salt to a fine paste, without adding any water.If needed, just add 2-3 spoons of water which is kept aside.
- Cut the beans and onions.
Step by step cooking instructions
- Boil the beans by adding salt and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat the oil(needs a little bit of extra oil ie., 4 table spoon).
- Put the dhal mixture in the oil and fry for a couple of minutes. Cover
the pan with a plate. The dhal will cook in the oil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put the flame on sim and stir occasionally. The dhal will get brown and non- sticky and dry.
- Take out this dhal from stove and transfer it to a plate.
- Add 1 table spoon of oil in the pan, heat the oil, add onion,curry leaves and asafoetida, red chili pieces.
-When the onion get brown, add boiled beans and cooked lentil dhal, salt and mix it well in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- switch off the stove.
Beans and thuvar dhal dry subji is done.
Transfer to a serving plate or vessel.
-Decorate with Round cut Onions and curry leaves.
-Serve hot with curd Rice or Rice and dhal. You may serve it with chapati or phulka.
What variations can you make with this recipe?
- Instead of cooking the thuvar dhal in oil, you may cook the dhal in steam in a pressure cooker.
Do not add too much water to dal if cooking in pressure cooker. You may also reduce the amount of oil when you cook toor dal in pressure cooker.
- Adding onion is optional.
Why do you or your family like this beans and thuvar dhal subji recipe?
As this is a rich recipe it is our special recipe in the weekends as a side dish to rice.
It is a mixture of vegetable and dhal, thus healthy. It is liked by children a lot.