Onion Rava Upma Recipe
Healthy Breakfast Recipe
Savory Semolina - Cream of wheat Recipe
Onion Rava Upma recipe or uppuma recipe is made from sooji/suji rava, ,cream of wheat or semolina. It is a
popular South Indian breakfast dish.
It is one of the commonly made recipes in
south Indian recipes.
It is called 'Uppitu'(Kannada), 'Tikhat Sanja'(Marathi), 'Suji ka
namkeen halwa'(Hindi) in Indian languages.
About Upma - Uppittu
Upma is a healthy breakfast or a filling snack. My family loves to
eat it at
lunch or dinner too. It can be a one
dish meal with the many vegetables added to it.
We also can add only
onion or make it without any onion or vegetables. Choice is yours.
When made without onion, it is also acceptable as a fasting / vrat food in South Indian states.
It is a very nutritious dish because of the variety of vegetables added to it. Onions, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes,
tomatoes, capsicum etc. are generally added to this. You many add only one or a combination of vegetables
I have also made it by adding cabbage or cucumber or eggplant (brinjal) to it and it tastes good
You can add these other vegetables if you are fasting and want to avoid using onions.
The image above is of vegetable upma with beans, carrots, peas which makes it colorful.
I love it when the
food is colorful. Don't you?
You can also make vegetable masala upma by adding a variety of vegetables and your favorite masala - spice mix, such as garam masala, goda masala or vangi bhat masala.
How to make Upma with onion
Ingredients for onion upma to make 2-3 servings
- Rava(sooji, semolina) - 1 cup
- water - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 large
- green chillis - 2 or more according to taste.
- curry leaves - 7-8
- oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- chana dal - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves - 1 small bunch
- Ginger - 1/4 tsp, finely chopped or paste
Preparation before making upma:
- Roast rava on mediam flame for 7-8 minutes, till it is imparts
aroma. The color will be changed too. Do not let it get brown. Keep
- Chop onion, coriander leaves, ginger finely.
- Chop green chilies in big pieces.
Cooking upma - uppit Method
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add chana dal, urad dal.fry till dal is light brown.
- Add chili pieces. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till onion is transparent. Add ginger.
- Add water. Bring to boil.
- Add salt, sugar.
- Reduce flame and add roasted rava stirring continuously. Mix well so as not to let form lumps.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Stir in between.
- Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- You may roast rava in large quantities when you have time and keep it for making rava upma when you are in hurry.
- Roasting rava or semolina properly while stirring on low or medium flame is important.
- If rava is not roasted well, the
uppuma will be sticky when ready.
- If rava is roasted too much and allowed to be browned, the color of uppittu will be
dark. So be careful while roasting rava.
- You can also add 1 cup chopped, mixed vegetables - green peas, beans , carrots, potato, cabbage,
cauliflower, capsicum etc.to make vegetable upma
- Chop them fine and add them after the onions are fried. Or you may omit onions if you wish.
Go to vegetable upma recipe
You might like these
bansi rava upma rave uppittu recipe, wheat rava upma, sanja rava upma
vegetable rava upma recipe is a south Indian recipe. Upma recipe is a nutririous healthy breakfast recipe or or a filling snack dish. Rava is known as semolina or cream of wheat.
Spicy vegetable upma masala uppit recipe, South Indian breakfast dish from Karnataka. Is made as wedding breakfast too.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.