Spicy vegetable upma - Masala uppit recipe
Spicy vegetable upma - Masala uppit recipe is a special breakfast dish from Karnataka.
It is served during prewedding meal too.
Upma is a
popular Indian breakfast dish originating in south India. This masale uppit is a yummy variation of vegetable upma.
It is made as a healthy breakfast or a filling snack. My family loves to eat
it at lunch or dinner too. It is a one dish meal with many vegetables
added to it.
Vegetable masala upma - South Indian uppit
Vegetables such as beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum etc. are generally added to this. Cabbage or cauliflower also go well in this upma.
You many add only one or a combination of vegetables to it. I have also made it by adding cucumber or eggplant (brinjal) to it and it tastes good too.
The image above is of vegetable upma with beans, carrots, peas which makes it colorful. I love it when the
food is colorful. Don't you?
How to make spicy vegetable upma - masala uppit
Ingredients for vegetable upma to make 2-3 servings.
- Rava - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups, more or less as needed.
- French beans - 5-6
- Carrot - 1/4 cup chopped
- Tomato - 1/2 cup chopped
- Shelled fresh green peas- 1/4 cup
- Green chili - 2 or more according to taste.
- Vangi bhaat powder - 1 to 2 tbsp, according to taste
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
Preparation for Upma - Roasting rava and chopping veggies
- Heat a kadai/pan and Roast rava on low flame for 7-8 minutes, till
it is imparts aroma and changes color a little bit. Do not let it burn.
- Chop green beans, carrots, tomatoes to small pieces.
- Chop coriander leaves, ginger finely.
- Chop green chili in big pieces so that you can take them out, if necessary, once the upma is done.
Cooking vegetable Masala upma - uppitu Method
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add chana dal, urad dal.
- Fry till dal is light brown.
- Add chili pieces. Fry till chilies look .
- Add chopped beans and carrots. Stir well.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add green peas. Mix.
- Add vangi bhaat powder and mix well with the vegetables. Cook for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water. Bring to boil.
- Add salt, sugar. Check if the beans and carrots are cooked to your liking.
- Reduce flame. Add roasted rava. Mix well so as not to let form lumps.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Stir once in between to make sure that the botom is not burning.
- Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
Keep upma covered for 4-5 minutes if you can wait.
It tastes good at room temperature too. Vegetable masala upma can be taken as a lunch to school or office.
Masala Upma is served by itself, with pickles (mango, lime or chili pickle),
dry chutney powder or coconut chutney at home.
In restaurants upma is served with coconut
chutney, sambar etc.
- Usually vangi bhaat powder/masala is used to make masale uppit. But for variation, you may use garam masala, Maharashtrian goda or kala masala or rasam powder instead of vangi bhaat powder. Each masala will give a different flavor and color. See which masala your family likes best.
- I usually do not add onion to masala upma.
- You may roast rava in large quantities when you have time and keep it for making upma when you are in hurry. Saves time.
- Roasting rava or semolina properly while stiring on low or medium flame is important.
- If rava is not roasted well, the
uppuma will be sticky when ready.
- If rava is roasted too much and allowed to be browned, the color of uppittu will be
dark. So be careful while roasting rava.
- You can also add other vegetables chopped, potato,
cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum etc. Chop them fine and add them
according to the cooking time needed for them.
- The ratio for rava to water is 1 cup rava and 2 cups water. You may
add more or less according to the way you like your upma.
- If serving to
elderly people, you may want to add a little more water to make it soft.
- You may remove the large chili pieces before serving to kids.
- Add some ghee / clarified butter in the end for more flavor if you like.
I am sure you will enjoy this spicy vegetable upma - masala uppit.
Go to Breakfast recipes page from spicy vegetable upma - masala uppit recipe
Go to Semolina Recipes from Vegetable masala upma recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Home