Vegetable Rava Upma Recipe
Savory Semolina - Cream of wheat Recipe
Vegetable rava Upma recipe or uppuma is made from Rava.
Rava is also known as cream of wheat or semolina. Upma is a
popular Indian breakfast dish originating in south India.
commonly known as 'Upma' in restaurant menus and Indian homes, this
semolina dish is also known as 'Uppitu'(Kannada), 'Tikhat
Sanja'(Marathi), 'Suji ka namkeen halwa'(Hindi) in indian languages.
It is a healthy breakfast or a filling snack. My family loves to eat
it at lunch or dinner too. It is a one dish meal with many vegetables
added to it.
Vegetable rava upma - South Indian Breakfast
It is a very nutritious dish because of the variety of vegetables added to it.
Onions, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum etc. are generally added to this.
You many add only one or a combination of vegetables to it.
I have also made it by adding cabbage or cucumber or eggplant(brinjal) to it and it tastes good too.
You can add these other vegetables if you are fasting(Vrat - Upvas) and want to avoid using onions.
The image above is of vegetable upma with beans, carrots, peas which makes it colorful. I love it when the
food is colorful. Don't you?
You can also make vegetable masala upma by adding a variety of vegetables and your favorite masala - spice mix.
How to make Vegetable Rava Upma
Ingredients for vegetable upma to make 2-3 servings.
- Rava - 1 cup
- water - 2 cups, more or less as needed.
- french beans - 5-6
- Carrot - 1 medium sized
- Shelled fresh green peas- 1/4 cup
- green chili - 2 or more according to taste.
- curry leaves - 7-8
- oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch
- Roast rava on mediam flame for 7-8 minutes, till it is imparts aroma.
- Chop green beans, carrots to small pieces.
- Chop coriander leaves, ginger finely.
- Chop green chili in big pieces so that you can take them out once the upma is done.
Cooking vegetable upma - uppitu Method
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add chana dal, urad dal.
- Fry till dal is light brown.
- Add chili pieces. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped beans and carrots. Stir well.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add green peas. Mix.
- Add water. Bring to boil.
- Add salt, sugar. Reduce flame.
- Add roasted rava. Mix well so as not to let form lumps.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
Keep upma covered for 4-5 minutes if you can wait.
It tastes good at room temperature too. Vegetable upma can be taken as a lunch to school or office.
Upma is served by itself, with pickles (mango, lime or chili pickle),
dry chutney powder or coconut chutney at home.
In restaurants upma is served with coconut
chutney, sambar etc.
- You may roast rava in large quantities when you have time and keep it for making upma when you are in hurry. Saves time.
- Roasting rava or semolina properly while stiring on low or medium flame is important.
- If rava is not roasted well, the
uppuma will be sticky when ready.
- If rava is roasted too much and allowed to be browned, the color of uppittu will be
dark. So be careful while roasting rava.
- You can also add other vegetables chopped, - onion, potato,
cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum etc. Chop them fine and add them
according to the cooking time needed for them.
- Add capsicum last as
capsicums cook fast.
- You may omit onions if you wish.The ratio for rava to water is 1 cup rava and 2 cups water. You may
add more or less according to the way you like your upma.
- If serving to
elderly people, you may want to add a little more water.
- You may remove the large chili pieces before serving to kids.
- Add some ghee / clarified butter for more flavor if you like.
I am sure you will enjoy this vegetable rava upma.