Dalia sheera - Cracked wheat halwa recipe
Daliya Halva - Easy Indian Breakfast Recipe
This Dalia sheera, cracked wheat halwa recipe is a easy and healthy breakfast recipe.
Dalia or daliya is also known as
wheat rava, broken wheat, cracked wheat, lapsi etc.
As dalia or daliya is made with whole raw
wheat, it contains the nutrition of whole wheat as it does not undergo any processing to refine it.
You may also use Bulgar wheat, also known as burghul, for this recipe. As it is precooked, it will
cook faster than dalia.(see note below).
Broken wheat Halwa - Dalia Sheera
There are many recipes made with dalia, both sweet as well as savories.
This dalia halwa or sheea is easy and
simple to make.
It is a quick recipe to make for breakfast or when you need a quick snack or a sweet dish to
serve with a meal.
I am making this with jaggery but you may use sugar if you wish.
to make Dalia sheera - Cracked wheat / Broken wheat halwa
Ingredients for Dalia sheera - Broken wheat halwa to serve 2-3
Daliya - Broken wheat - Cracked wheat
Jaggery - Gud - powdered
- Dalia (broken wheat, cracked wheat) - 1 cup
- Water or milk - 2 1/2 to 3 cups as needed.
- Jaggery (gud - brown sugar) - 3/4 cup, more or less according to taste.
- Salt (optional) - a pinch
- Ghee (clarifies butter) - 2 tbsp (vegans can use vegetable oil)
- Dry fruits (cashew nuts, almonds, raisins) - 2 tbsp, chopped
- Powdered cardamom - 1/2 tsp
Making daliya sheera - wheat rava halva
If using jaggery - Gud:
- Add 1 cup of water and jaggery to a pan.
- Heat and bring to boil. Stir
till jaggery dissolves. Take off fire and
If using sugar, you may add it directly after dalia is almost cooked.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan/kadai , add ghee and dalia. Keep heat medium.
stirring dalia for 4-5 minutes till an aroma rises from dalia.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Mix well with dalia. Cover with a lid and let dalia cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir and Cook till the water is absorbed by dalia. This may take
for 4-5 minutes. Dalia will be half cooked by this time.
- Strain the dissolved jaggery water over dalia. If adding sugar, add it now. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes
or till all the water is absorbed and dalia is fully cooked. Add more
water if needed.
- When dalia is fully cooked, add the chopped dry fruits
and cardamom powder. Mix and switch off.
Keep covered till serving time.
Note : Bulgar wheat, which is used more in America, is precooked and
then broken. Whereas cracked wheat is
broken when raw.
- The color of your dalia sheera will depend on the color of your dry dalia and the color of jaggery. The color of daliya as well as jaggery available in the market differs. It is whitish to dark brown.
- We heat, dissolve and strain jaggery to remove any impurities in it. If using sugar, add it after dalia is almost cooked and cook till it is absorbed completely.
- The exact amount of water will depend on the variety of dalia.
- You may increase or reduce the amount of ghee or oil according to your choice. Desi Ghee adds to the taste and flavor to the sheera.
- You may
use sugar instead of jaggery(gud). This will give a lighter color to sheera. If using sugar, no need to first heat and dissolve it in water.
- You may use milk instead of water.
Sheera will have a richer taste. Or you may use half milk and half water
if you wish.
Go to Indian sweets
From Dalia sheera - cracked wheat halwa recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Dalia sheera cracked wheat halwa recipe