Carrot Halwa Recipe - Gajar ka Halwa Carrot Recipes
Festival sweets - Halwa Recipes
Carrot halwa is also known as carrot halva or gajar ka halwa(Hindi). It is a popular indian
sweet made with carrots or gajar as it is called in hindi.
Carrot halva can be served as a dessert, snack or as a sweet
dish with a main meal. It is one of the favorite
It is a simple recipe. You can make carrot halva in advance and keep in the fridge for
more than a week.
It can be served hot or cold. It has a lovely color and tastes great too.
In India, carrots are available in orange color and also reddish color. The reddish color are known as delhi carrots. These
redish carrots are sweeter than the orange ones. You may use any of the carrots for making this halwa.
Khoa or condensed milk or homemade full cream is optional but adding that makes the halwa richer and yummy.
If you are adding sweet khoa or condensed milk, adjust the sugar quantity accordingly.
I prefer to make this gajar ka halwa as it is a vegetable based sweet recipe. In the image on top, I have added fresh homemade cream
to carrot halva.
How to make Carrot Halwa - Gajjar ka halwa
Ingredients for carrot halwa for 4-6 servings.
- Carrots(gajar) - 500gms
- Milk(full cream) - 2 cups
- Sugar -1/2 cup or more according to taste.
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Raisins - 10-15
- Khoya or condensed milk or Fresh Cream -100 gms
- Cashew nuts, almonds, pista - 4-5 each, chopped fine
- Cardamom powder- 1 teaspoon.
Preparation before making carrot halwa
- Wash and peel carrots.
- Grate carrots using a fine grater. You may also use food processor to grate carrots to
make is faster and easier.
Making carrot halva - Cooking method:
- Heat a deep thick bottomed pan.
- Add ghee and chopped nuts. Fry the nuts and raisins for a few seconds. The raisins will become plump. Do not let the nuts brown too much. Remove from ghee on a small plate or a bowl. Keep aside.
- Add grated carrots to the same ghee. Stir well and mix carrots in ghee. Cover and cook grated
carrots about 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk. Stir and cook on low fire till the
mixture thickens. It may take about 15-20 minutes. Do not cover after you add milk.
- When the milk is absorbed in carrots, add
sugar. Mix well and cook some more till sugar dissolves.
- When the sugar
dissolves, the mixture will
release some liquid.
- Keep cooking and the mixture thickens again.
khoa/condensed milk/cream(whichever you are using). Mix well.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes stirring
occasionally till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the nuts, raisins which we kept aside. Add cardamom powder.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
Carrot halva is ready to serve.
Serve it hot or at room temperature or
cold as you like. You may put it in fridge for
cooling and serve chilled.
You may fry cashew nuts in ghee if you wish or add them without frying.
You may add more condensed milk or khoa or fresh homemade cream to make it richer.
You may roast khoya separately before adding to the carrot mixture.