Green beans and rice recipe
Green beans are also known as String beans or French beans
green beans and rice recipe is a one dish meal. Green beans are also
known as string beans or french beans.
Quick and easy to make,this beans and rice dish is a good to serve at lunch at home or to pack to school or office.
It takes less than 30 minutes to make including the chopping of beans.
As this beans rice may be served at room temperature, you may make it as a party dish too.
The type of rice to use
You may use basmati rice or any white rice or brown rice that you normally use to make plain rice.
Cooking plain rice
You may cook the basic plain rice in the pressure cooker, in the microwave or on the stove top. You will find the instructions to cook the plain rice here.
If you have any leftover plain rice in the fridge, you may use that.
Green bean rice - Chitranna
How to make green beans rice?
List of ingredients and the quantity for green bean rice.
- Plain cooked and cooled rice - 2 cups
- Green beans - 8 -10
- Green chili - 2-3 according to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut(optional) - 1 tbsp
- Lime juice (optional) - 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves -1 tbsp chopped
Ingredients for tempering
- Ghee or vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Hing - asafetida - a pinch
Preparation to do before cooking
- Cook rice till just done. It should not be too soft and mushy.
- Wash well the french beans. String them.(remove the thread like part.)
- Chop the beans finely.
- Slit green chilies or chop them.
- Chop coriander leaves.
Step by step cooking instructions to make green beans rice chitranna
Heat a kadai or a fry pan.
- Add oil or ghee.
- When oil is hot, add hing, mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add chopped green chilies. Fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green beans.
- Mix well and cover.
- Cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes or till beans are just cooked.
- Add the cooled rice, salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook for two minutes.
- Add fresh chopped coriander, fresh grated coconut.
- Take off the flame and add lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Pack for lunch or serve when the kids come home from school. The white and green color looks very attractive.
Below are the variations you can make with this green beans and
rice recipe. Each variation may change the color as well as the final
taste of this rice dish.
Tips and suggestions for variation
- Use fresh tender green French beans.
- Add cooked rice when green beans are almost cooked.
- Add 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste along with curry leaves.
- Add red chilies instead of green chilies.
- Add 1/2 tsp each cumin seed and coriander seeds powder.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala.
- Make a paste of red chilies, fresh coconut and a little poppy
seeds ground with a little water. Add the paste when the green beans are half
cooked. Stir till the paste thickens and the beans are done and then mix
You might like these
This Lemon rice recipe is a South Indian rice recipe. It is easy to make spicy rice dish known as chitranna, kalasanna, elumicham sadam. You can also make it with leftover rice
Find here a variety of easy Indian Vegetable recipes. Cooking vegetables is easy when you know what ingredients to mix.
Pressure cooker recipes are faster cooking compared to cooking the same recipe on the stove top. A Pressure cooker can be used to steam, bake, cook rice, vegetables, dals, lentils and pulses.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.