Curd Rice - Indian rice recipe
South Indian Cool Rice
This Curd rice recipe is a South Indian rice recipe. It is easy and quick and
simple to make. If the cooked rice - plain rice is ready, you can
make it in a few minutes.
It is a good rice dish for taking for picnic or as a lunch to school or
Curd rice is also known in Indian languages as Dahi Chawal(Hindi), Thair sadam(Tamil),
Mosarnna(Kannada), Dahi Bhat(Marathi).
curd rice - dahi bhaat - mosaranna - thyir sadam
Generally it is served at the end of the meal. It is a must in most houses.
It is a must in the hot summer season too.
It cools your stomach if you have had a hot curry. Have it along with other dishes or by itself for
lunch in summer. You will feel satisfied and cool too.
The simplest way is to take some boiled/ steamed rice on your plate, add some plain curd
(yogurt), a little salt and a little milk(optional) and mix it.
Make sure the curd is not sour.
The more elaborate way is given below.
A piece of lime or mango pickle with curd rice is a
perfect way to end the satisfying meal, be it an everyday meal or a festive meal or a party.
How to make curd rice - Yogurt rice
Main ingredients for curd rice - Yogurt rice
Plain cooked white rice
Yogurt - Curd - Dahi
Ingredients for curd rice
- Cooked rice - 2 cups
- Plain curd - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Green chilies - 1 or 2
- Ginger paste - 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves(Cilantro) - 1 tbsp
- chopped Curry leaves - 4-5
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Ingredients For tempering
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Chana (Bengal gram) dal - 1/2 tea spoon
- Urad (black gram)dal - 1/2 tea spoon
- Rai (Mustard) seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making Curd rice
- chop/slit chilli
- chop coriander leaves
- Cool rice
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- When they stop crackling add Bengal gram dal and urad dal.
- Fry for 5 seconds but do not let burn.
- Add asafetida, chopped chilies, curry leaves. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Take off the pan from the stove and let it cool a little.
- Mix cooked rice, curd, milk, salt, chopped coriander leaves.
- Add the seasoning. Mix well
Curd-rice is ready. Serve it as a meal by itself or with lime pickle or mango pickle.
- Use fresh, naturally sweet curd - yogurt.
- You may also add some fresh
cream to it to make it yummy, if your diet permits that.
- Mix Curd Rice just before serving. Once the curd-rice is
mixed it should be eaten
within half an hour or so or it can get sour, so if you are not
planning to eat it immediately, put it in the fridge.
- Rice also
becomes thick some time after mixing. So a little milk may be added again at
the time of serving.
- Some chopped onion, cucumber, chopped grapes, pomegranate seeds are also
added to curd rice.
You can add any one of these or all of these. It also prevents the
curd-rice from becoming
If you are taking this yogurt rice dish for a picnic, you
can do the
following to get the fresh taste even though you will be eating it after
a few hours.
- Mix all the ingredients except curd. You can add a little curd to the
milk and carry it separately in a bottle.
- Just before serving, add this
milk and curd mixture to the rice mix. It will taste wonderful.
- It is
better to take more milk mixed with a spoonful of curd with
you as it will set fully into curd within a couple of hours in hot
weather. So by the time you
are ready for your picnic lunch, the curd will be ready for you.
- It may
take longer time in
the cold weather so adjust the quantity of curd added to the milk
Go To Rice Recipes
From Curd Rice
Go To Vegetarian Recipes