Mavinkai chitranna - Green mango rice recipe
South Indian rice recipe
Mavinkai chitranna, green mango rice recipe is a special rice recipe from the Southern State of Karnataka.
It is a
main item of the menu on 'Ugadi", the new year day feast, which falls in march or April every year.
It is called Mavinkai chitranna as 'mavinkai = raw green mango', 'Chitranna = colorful rice' in Kannada
This Mavinkai Chitranna is made specially in the beginning of the summer when the raw green
sour mangoes are available in plenty.
Along with Kairi pana or Mavinkai panka, mavinkai chitranna is on the menu to celebrate the new year.
Choose green sour mangoes for this recipe. If you are planning to keep it for long, do not use fresh
coconut. Use desiccated coconut instead. or omit coconut completely.
This can be made in advance as it doesn't need to be served hot. It is served at room temperature. Take it for
picnic or for lunch to work.
How to make Mavinkai chitranna - Green Mango Rice
plain cooked rice
Raw green mango
Ingredients for mavinkai chitranna, green mango rice for 2 servings:
- Raw mango - 1 small ( 2 tbsp grated)
- Cooked rice - 2 to 3 cups
- Salt - 1 tea spoon or to taste
- Fresh grated Coconut or desiccated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Red chilies (optional) - 2 - Break into pieces
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Green chilies - 2
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- chana dal - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Peel a green mango and grate it with a fine grater. Check the sourness of the grated mango and if it is too sour, reduce the quantity of grated mango you will use for the recipe.
- Grate fresh coconut.
- Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Let them splutter. Add the dry red chilies and green chilies.
- Add peanuts and fry for a 15-20 seconds or till you get the roasted peanut flavor. Do not let the peanuts overcook.
- Add chana dal and urad dal. Add curry leaves.
- Stir and switch off the flame.
- Add the grated green mango and coconut.
- Spread the cooked rice over mango mix. add salt.
- Mix the rice well with the mango mixture.
- You may need to use
your fingers to mix well.
- Add a little salt if necessary.
Serve any time ; lunch, dinner, party, picnic. You may also pack it in the lunch box.
- Do not cook the rice till it is too soft and mushy. Each grain should be separate.
- You can serve it at room temperature.So it is convenient to serve at party and picnics. Also good for a lunch box.
- If planning to serve after 4-5 hours, use desiccated coconut instead of fresh coconut.
- The sourness of a raw green mango depends on it's variety. If it is too sour, you may need to reduce the mango quantity.
- If you already have roasted peanuts, you may add the them while mixing rice instead of frying them.