Kairi dal Ambe dal Green mango recipe
Part of Indian summer Recipes
Kairi dal Ambe dal Green mango recipe is a traditional Maharashtrian recipe.
You could call it a mango chana dal(bengal gram dal) salad.
Ambe dal is made during the start of summer, when raw green mangoes are
available in plenty. It is a good accompaniment to any meal as well as a
snack by itself.
Ready Kairi dal - Ambe dal
The start of the Hindu new year is celebrated as Gudhi padva (ugadi). It is the start of the month of Chaitra, the first month of the year.
Ambe dal is made on this day particularly. It is also made when womenfolk celebrate 'Chaitra haldikunku' by inviting their friends and relatives during the month.
Ambe dal and Kairi panha are served to all invitees. You will find Kairi panha recipe here.
How to make Kairi dal - Ambe dal - Green mango chana dal salad recipe
Ingredients to serve 3-4
- Split chana/harbhara dal - 1/2 cup
- Amba / kairi / green mango - 1 or 2 tbsp grated or cut into pieces (see note below)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp or according to taste.
- Green or red chili - 2-3 or according to taste
Ingredients for tempering
- Vegetable oil or ghee - 1 - 2 tbsp
- Rai - Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Jeera - Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Hing / asafetida - 1/4 tsp
- Haldi/turmeric powder
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 or 3 tbsp
- Fresh ginger - a small piece or 1/2 tsp grated or paste
Making ambe dal - Mango chana dal salad
1. Take chana dal in a bowl. Add some water and wash well.
2. Add water to cover chana dal and keep aside to soak for 2-3 hours.
3. Most of the water is absorbed by dal and it becomes soft. After soaking, chana dal will look like in the image below.
3. After soaking, if any water remains,
pour dal on a colander and drain water from the dal. Keep water aside, we do not need to use this water in this recipe.
To make tempering
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing
- When the cumin and mustard seeds splutter add curry leaves.
- Remove from fire and let cool to room temperature.
To make ambe dal
- In a mixer jar, take green chilies, ginger (if using), mango pieces or grated mango, salt and sugar. Grind to rough consistency.
- Add drained dal and grind to rough consistency. Do not add any water while grinding. You may need to stop, scrape sides and grind again. We do not want the dal ground into paste.
- Take out the ground mixture into a bowl.
- Add grated coconut(if adding), chopped coriander leaves, and mix well.
- Add the ready cooled tempering and mix again.
- Taste and see if it is to your liking. Add more sugar, salt, grated mango if you wish. Mix again and keep aside till serving time.
Ambe dal / kairi dal is ready.
Serve at room temperature or after cooling in the fridge.
Serve as a snack or part of traditional main meal. Makes a good colorful
party salad too.
- The quantity of mango will depend on the sourness of the mango you are using. The sourness differs according to the variety of the mango.
- The quantity of sugar will also depend on the sourness of the mango.
- Balance the sourness(mango) and sweetness(sugar) according to your taste.
- Do not add any water while grinding the dal. Stop, stir the mix and grind again.
- If you add water, dal may get ground fine like chutney. We do not want that.
- A little bit of extra hing tastes good in this ambe dal.
- This Ambe dal / kairi dal may be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- If you add fresh coconut, it will stay good in the fridge for 2 days.
- Do not add other
ingredients such as salt or sugar while dal is soaking.
- Add tempering after it has
cooled a little.
- If any ambe dal is leftover, you may make ambode - chana dal vada with it.
Go to Salad recipes
From Kairi dal ambe dal green mango recipe
Go to vegetable recipes
From kairi dal ambe dal recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home chana dal green mago salad