Moong dal Khichadi Beans and Rice Recipe
Ayurvedic recipe - Easy vegetarian recipe - One dish meal
This Moong dal khichdi is a mung beans and rice recipe. It is a one dish meal
and easy to make. It is a quick recipe too.If you are using
pressure cooker, the
cooking time is reduced further.
The spices used in this recipe are few. This is an easy to digest recipe. So it can be served to sick people too.
You can also use whole or split red lentils (Masoor or masoor dal) instead of mung beans for this beans and rice recipe.
How to make Khichadi - moong dal and rice recipe
Ingredients for moong dal khichdi
Moong dal - Green gram dal
Moong dal khichadi - mung bean khichuri
Ingredients for Khichadi for 2-3 servings
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- Rice - 1 cups
- Mung beans(whole or split) - 1/2 cup
- Coriander powder - 1
1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin powder - 1 tea spoon
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tea spoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped
- Curry leaves (optional) - 4-5
- Fresh grated coconut (optional) - 1 table
- Green or red chili (optional) - 1 No.
- water - 3 cups
- Salt - 1
teaspoon or to taste
Oil / Ghee (clarified butter) - 1 tablespoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Haldi / Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making Moong dal khichadi
- Chop or slit chilli
- Chop coriander leaves
- Mix rice and mung bean. Wash and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they stop crackling,
- Add asafetida, turmeric powder
- Add chopped chili, curry leaves. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add ginger paste, cumin powder, cinnamon powder
- Add washed beans and rice mixture and water. Bring to boil.
- Cook for 10 minute on low flame.
- Add salt, chopped coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut.
- Cook further till done. Mix well.
- Khichadi is ready.
Serve it as a meal by itself or with a cucumber or tomato salad and
Moong dal khichadi - khichuri
Tips and variations
- You can leave out the chili if you wish.
If you are pressure cooking, make seasoning. Add all the ingredients and cook as you cook
plain steamed rice. The mung beans do not need any extra time to cook.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.