Lime pickle - Lemon pickle
Spicy Hot Indian Pickle Recipe
Lime pickle or lemon pickle
is a favorite of many. As lime or lemons are available
throughout the year, you can make lemon pickle anytime you want. But
then, it makes sense to make it when
they are available in plenty and are cheaper.
Lemon pickle takes about a month to get soft and ready to eat. You may start to use it after 15 days if you do
not mind a slightly bitter taste and the not so soft lemon rind. It has a wonderful taste of it's own. So no harm
in starting to use it after 2 weeks if you like the taste.
For this pickle, use spotless, juicy lemons. Wash them thoroughly and dry them
well. Any remaining moisture may spoil the pickle.
How to make Lime Pickle - Lemon Pickle
Ingredients for lemon pickle:
- Limes (nimbu) - 10 No.
- Red chili powder (lal mirch powder - 1 table spoon
- Salt - 3 table spoons
- fenugreek seeds(methi) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi) - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida(hing) - 1/2 teaspoon
Roast lightly fenugreek seeds.
- Grind/pound to fine powder
- Cut Limes in 4 or 8 pieces, as you wish. I usually cut them in 8 pieces.
Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi powder) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing)- 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat Oil
- Add Mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, fry for a few seconds.
- Take off the fire and keep aside to cool completely before adding to pickle
Making Lime pickle:
Mix together lime pieces, salt, red chili powder, powdered fenugreek, turmeric and asafetida.
- Add the cooled seasoning and mix well.
- Fill in dry airtight bottle. Close the lid.
- Shake the bottle/mixture everyday with a dry spoon once per day for about 15 days.
Lemon Pickle is ready to eat after 15 days.But some people like to start eating it after 4-5 days. There is still some bitterness in the lemon rind but still it is yummy.
Serve with any dish such as snacks, rice, roti,
poori etc. It is best with
- Shaking or mixing regularly till the pickle matures (about 15-20 days) is very important.
- If you forget mixing for a day it is ok but not mixing for longer duration the pickle will get spoilt. A layer of fungus will form on the top of the pickle. Even when you remove the fungus layer, the taste of the pickle will change.
Go To Pickle Recipes from Lime Pickle Recipe Page
Go To Vegetarian Recipes home Page from Lime Pickle Recipe