Lime pickle - Lemon pickle
Spicy Hot Indian Pickle Recipe
Lime pickle or lemon pickle
is a favorite of many. Pickle is the best accompaniment for many dishes, especially curd rice.
As lime or lemons are available
throughout the year, you can make lemon pickle anytime you want. But
then, it makes sense to make it when
they are available in plenty and are cheaper.
This pickle remains good for more than 6 months. It just gets more and more mature. See the tips below.
Lemon pickle takes about a month to get soft and ready to eat. You may start to use it after 15 days if you do
not mind a slightly bitter taste and the not so soft lemon rind. It has a wonderful taste of it's own. So no harm
in starting to use it after 2 weeks if you like the taste.
For this pickle, use spotless, juicy lemons. Wash them thoroughly and dry them
well. Any remaining moisture may spoil the pickle.
Find tips below to reduce bitterness in lime/ lemon pickle.
How to make Lime Pickle - Lemon Pickle
Ingredients for lemon pickle:
- Limes (nimbu) - 10 No.
- Red chili powder (lal mirch powder - 1 table spoon
- Salt - 3 table spoons
- Fenugreek seeds(methi) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi) - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida(hing) - 1/2 teaspoon
Roast lightly fenugreek/methi seeds.
- Grind/pound to fine powder
- Cut Limes in 4 or 8 pieces, as you wish. I usually cut them in 8 pieces.
Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi powder) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing)- 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat Oil
- Add Mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, fry for a few seconds.
- Take off the fire and keep aside to cool completely before adding to pickle
Making Lime pickle:
Mix together lime pieces, salt, red chili powder, powdered fenugreek, turmeric and asafetida.
- Add the cooled seasoning and mix well.
- Fill in dry airtight bottle. Close the lid.
- Shake the bottle/mixture everyday with a dry spoon once per day for about 15 days.
Lemon Pickle is ready to eat after 15 days.
But some people like to start eating it after 4-5 days. There is still some bitterness in the lemon rind but still it is yummy.
Lime pieces start to soften as the pickle matures. After a month, they become quite soft.
Serve with any dish such as snacks, rice, roti,
poori etc. It is best with
- Shaking or mixing regularly till the pickle matures (about 15-20 days) is very important.
you forget mixing for a day it is ok but not mixing for longer duration
the pickle will get spoilt. A layer of fungus will form on the top of
the pickle. Even when you remove the fungus layer, the taste of the
pickle will change. So do remember to stir / shake the pickle once every
- Keeping the pickle bottle in the sun is not a must but that helps in pickle maturing faster. Keeping in the shade, pickle may take a bit longer to mature.
- In the sun pickle releases juices faster.
How to remove / reduce bitterness in lime pickle
Lime rind/skin, seeds and the white pith contain bitterness.
- Choose thin skinned lime/lemons.
- Choose juicy lime/lemons.
- When you cut limes, remove as many seeds as you can before mixing with spices and salt. Seeds are very bitter.
- Fenugreek/methi seeds are bitter and these are added to balance the sourness of the lime juice. Add methi seeds in the right quantity.
If your lime pickle has become bitter,
You may try the following tips to reduce bitterness:
- Add some sugar to the pickle
- Add only the juice of some limes to add sourness.
- Add some salt and red chili powder.
Add the above ingredients (sugar, lime juice, salt, chili powder) according to your liking in taste. First try doing this with 1/2 cup of ready lime pickle.
How to store pickle for longer use
If you take proper care while preparing, pickle remains good at room temperature for more than 6 months or even longer. My mother used to make mango pickle in the season and we used it for almost a year, till the next season started.
- Store pickle in a big glass jar/ bottle with a tight lid. Make sure no dust, insects, flies etc. can get inside.
- Take out some in a smaller bottle for your regular use with a dry spoon.
- You need to take care while taking it out from the jar. Use only dry spoon while taking out the pickle.
- Adding more oil, salt helps in preserving pickle.
Go To Pickle Recipes from Lime Pickle Recipe Page
Go To Vegetarian Recipes home Page from Lime Pickle Recipe