Mixed Pickled Vegetables
Indian pickle Recipe - Vegetable pickle
Pickled vegetables is my favorite pickle. This is a colorful side item. It adds color as well as taste to a
meal. Use the vegetable easily available in season. They taste best.
You can use your favorite vegetables for this such as beetroot, carrots, cabbage,
cauliflower, broccoli, green peas, shallots etc.
For this pickle, I am using carrots, cauliflower, green peas. Wash them thoroughly
and dry them well. Any remaining moisture may spoil the pickle.
How to make pickled vegetables - Mixed Vegetable pickle
Ingredients for mixed veg pickle
- Carrots, Cut into sticks - 1 cup.
- Cauliflower - 1 cup,cut into small florets.
- Fresh green peas - 1/2 cup.
- Ginger - 1 tbsp , cut in small thin strips.
- Lime juice - 1 cup.
- Red chili powder - 1 table spoon
- Green chili - 2 chopped
- Salt - 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 2 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds(methi) - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi powder) - 2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing)- 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - for seasoning - 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
Preparation for mixed vegetable pickle and make tempering
Roast lightly fenugreek seeds. cool.
- Grind fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds to fine powder
- Heat Oil
- Add Mustard seeds, Turmeric powder, Asafoetida
- Fry for a few seconds
- Cool completely before adding to pickle
- Mix together carrots, cauliflower, ginger pieces, salt, red chili powder,
fenugreek and mustard powder, green chili pieces, turmeric and asafetida.
- Add lime juice. Mix well and fill in dry airtight bottle.
- Add the cooled seasoning.
- Shake the bottle/mixture well.
Pickle will be ready to eat next day.
Serve with any dish such as snacks, rice,
roti, poori etc. You can use this pickle for 2 weeks, longer if refrigerated.
- You can add vinegar instead of lime juice.
- You can eat the pickle the next day, Vegetable pieces will be crunchy.
- The pieces may become softer as they absorb the salt and spices and the sourness of lime or vinegar, improving the flavor and the taste.