Kohlrabi And Lentil Curry Recipe
Navalkol Dal Recipe
Kohlrabi is called knolkol or navalkol
in Indian languages. I like the sound
of knolkol so I will be using that name here on this page.
This recipe of knolkol with lentil does not use many spices. You can use whole or split
Masoor(red lentil), split or whole mung(mung dal/ green gram dal)as both cook equally fast.
Choose tender knolkol. You will need to remove the skin of knolkol and use only the fleshy part.You may use the leaves too.
I am using split Masoor dal(red lentils) for this recipe. Knolkol and masoor, both have a similar cooking time.
You may also use whole masoor / red lentils instead of split ones.
If you use pressure cooker, you can reduce cooking time considerably.
to make Knolkol and Lentil Curry - Navalkol dal recipe:
Main ingredients for navalkol masoor dal curry
Navalkol - Kohlrabi - knolkol
Masoor dal - Split red lentils
Ingredients for navalkol dal curry for 3-4 servings
- Knolkol - 1 cup, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Cumin powder - 1/2
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/4 teaspoon.
- Salt - 1/2
tsp according to taste.
- Masoor dal(red lentil) - 1/2 cup.
- Freshly grated
coconut(optional) - 1 tbsp.
- Sugar/ jaggery - 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder -
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder(optional) - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) : a pinch.
Step by step instructions for making kohlrabi and lentil curry :
- Boil knolkol and dal together in 1 1/2 cup water till just done(it will take about
10-15 minutes). Or you can pressure cook it together.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida
(hing) and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked knolkol/masoor dal mix.
- Add chili powder, cumin and coriander powder,
- Add salt, sugar. Stir and continue cooking.
- Add a little water to get the desired
consistency. It should be dal like consistency. Neither too watery nor too thick.
- Cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Add fresh coconut, chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
Serve it with
Tips and variations
- To reduce final cooking time, you can cook kohlrabi and dal for 10
minutes before adding to seasoning.
- Or you can pressure cook it.
To Vegetable Recipes From Kohlrabi Lentil