Sago sabudana khichadi recipe
Sabudana khichadi, a tapioca pearls recipe is made for vrat - upvas and as a snack
Sago Sabudana khichadi recipe
is made from sago or tapioca pearls. It is a popular Indian recipe in
Maharashtra, Gujrat, Karnataka, Rajsthan.
Sabudana khichdi is a easy breakfast recipe.
It is also vrat - upvas - fasting recipe made during Navaratri,
is known in Indian languages as sabudana/saboodana(Hindi - Marathi),
seeme akki, sabbakki(Kannada), javvarisi (Tamil), saggubeeyam(Telugu)
Sabudana khichadi is made for breakfast, as a filling snack, or for a vrat or upvas meal.
It is made during Navaratri or Sankashti Chaturthi fasting.
Sago or tapica pearls cook very fast but you need to soak it for an hour or so. You may also make sabudana kheer with sago.
How to make Sago - Sabudana Khichadi
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- Sabudana (sago - Tapioca pearls) - 1 cup
- Roasted peanuts / ground nuts - 1/2 cup
- green chilies - 2-3 more or less according to taste
- sugar - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp or according to taste
- vegetable oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Potato 1 medium sized
- fresh coconut , grated - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves / cilantro - 1 tbsp chopped
- lime juice - 1/2 tsp
Preparation before making sabudana khichadi
About 2 hours of preparation time is needed for making sabudana khichadi. We need to soak sago before cooking.
The amount of water we soak the sago in is important. Too much will make
sabudana mushi and too little will not soak it well.
- Add sabudana to a bowl. Add some water and wash well. Remove all the water. Add 2 tbsp water and leave the sago to soak for minimum 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Grind the roasted peanuts to coarse powder consistency.
- Chop the potato in thin pieces. You may peel it or not according to your choice.
- Chop the green chilies.
- After the sabudana has soaked for 1 hour, separate the grains lightly with your fingers.
- Add the groundnut
powder, salt, sugar to it and mix well and keep aside till cooking time.
Method to make sabudana khichdi
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai/pan. Add jeera(cumin seeds). Let them splutter and then add the chopped green chilies.
- Stir for a few seconds. add chopped potatoes. stir and cover.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes on low flame till potatoes are just cooked.
- add the sago mix and stir well to mix properly. cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
- You may cover and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame.
Add fresh grated coconut, coriander leaves and lime juice. mix well.
- Or you may add coconut, coriander leaves as a garnish while serving and serve with a lemon wedge.
Sabudana khichadi tastes great as a hot breakfast or even as a cold dish. A good dish to take for lunch too.
Tips for making sago khichadi:
- Soaking time is a must. Add water carefully. Do not add too much
in the beginning.
- After soaking for an hour, if any water remains, pour
into a colander so that all excess water drains away.
- We want each sabudana grain soaked but separate when mixing with groundnut powder.
- You can keep soaked sabudana in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Khichadi keeps good in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just reheat before serving.
- Leftover khichadi can be used to make sabudana vada or sabudana thalipit.
Go to Breakfast recipes
From Sabudana khichadi recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Sabudana khichadi recipe