Uttapam Recipe- Vegan Pancake Recipe
South Indian Breakfast Recipe
Uttapam or uttappam is a popular breakfast dish which originated in south India.
Uttappa it is also appreciated by the visitors from other countries. You may also visit
Masala dosa recipe.
You could call uttappa an Indian pancake similar to dosa. The
dosa batter is made from rice
and black lentil(urad dal - black gram dal) that is rich in protein.
The same dosa batter can
be used to make uttappa when it has turned sour after 2-3 days.
In my home, I make batter enough for 2-3 days. The first day I make
dosa, then 2nd or 3rd day I make
You can also make instant uttappa by mixing some flours.
We can make onion uttappa, tomato uttappa,
mix vegetable uttappa etc.
You will find the recipe for Onion uttappa below. This uttappa is served with
coconut chutney and
Visit the following pages before making uttappa to see how to make batter, chutney and sambar:
How to make Uttapam - Dosa batter
How to Make Coconut Chutney
How to make Sambar
It is a filling meal and you can have it at anytime of the day.
It is good for breakfast or dinner. It
can also be eaten as evening snack. Doesn't matter when. It is good to eat any time and for any meal.
How to make Uttapam - vegan pancakes
Ingredients makes 4-5 uttappas
- Dosa batter
(a little sour will be better) - 2 or 3 cups
- onion - 2 cups chopped fine
- coriander leaves - 1 table spoon, chopped fine
- Green chilies(optional) - 1 tsp chopped fine
- Grated carrot - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste.Your batter may already have some salt in it.
- oil - a few spoons.
Cooking Uttappam - vegan pancakes
- Add grated carrot, chopped onion and coriander to a plate or bowl.
- Heat a girdle or a nonstick flat/dosa pan. It should be hot but not smoking. Once it is hot, keep heat medium.
- Sprinkle a little oil with a spoon.
- Add 1/2 cup batter in the center of the pan and spread into a thick round.
some chopped onion, green chili pieces and coriander leaves mix on the top on the uttappa.
- press lightly with a spatula.
- Add a little oil on the top and sides.
- Let cook for about 30 seconds or till the bottom has a
few brown spots. You can see the edges getting brown in the image.
- Uttappa top will change color too.
- Cover if you wish to cook faster.
- Turn carefully to the other side with a spatula.
- Cook the other side for 1 minute.
- Then take out on a plate and serve with coconut chutney as shown below.
Another way to make uttappam
- You may add the onion carrot mix to the uttappa batter if you do not wish to add on top.
Add the mixed batter on the hot pan in a thick circle.
Add a few drops of oil and cook on both sides for a minute.
Remove onto a plate with onion side up and serve hot.
Make other uttappam the same way. Serve immediately.
Tips about uttappam:
1.You can keep the dosa batter in the fridge for a week and use it when you want.
2. Add just enough water while grinding. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
3. Instead of adding onions, coriander, chili on the top, you can mix it in the batter
itself and make uttappas. Remember to stir the batter every time you pour the batter.
Related Pages to visit:
More breakfast recipes