Paratha - Parantha - Indian Flat bread
Indian Bread Recipes
is a roti - bread from the North Indian state of Punjab. It is also
spelt and pronounced as 'parantha, prata, parota'.
North Parantha made with whole wheat flour and served with
and plain yogurt. It is be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner or as a filling snack. It is a popular bread.
You may also make stuffed parathas. Add a few vegetables stuffings, and you get a different variety of paratha-bread.
You may also make stuffed parathas with paneer, spices etc.
This can be another way to consume more vegetables, especially green
leafy vegetables such as spinach and fenugreek leaves.
How to make Paratha - Parantha:
Main ingredients for Paratha - Parantha
whole wheat flour - Atta
Ingredients for parantha
- whole wheat flour - 2 cups.
- oil or melted butter - 2 tbsp.
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- water for forming dough.
- oil for basting.
Step by step instructions for making Paratha - Parantha
- Mix together flour, salt, 2tbsp oil or melted butter.
- Add water little by little and from dough.
- Knead well, Cover and leave aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After that knead again and then make round balls.
- Take each ball and roll out into a thick round.
- apply a little oil on the round. Fold in
- Apply a few drops of oil on that half.
- Fold again lengthwise. it will look like a thick long strip.
- Shape this strip into spiral shape.
- Press a little with your palm.
- Roll into a thick
round of about 6".
- Heat girdle. Place the round on it.
- Cook for 5-8 seconds. turn again. baste with oil.
- Cook on both the sides adding a little oil.
- Both the sides should have brown spots on them.
Serve hot with any curry, pickle and yogurt.
Tips and variations
to Indian Breads page from Paratha page
to Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from parantha page