Paratha - Healthy Indian bread
Fenugreek leaves + Whole wheat flour bread
This Methi paratha recipe is a healthy variation of
It is made with fresh fenugreek leaves and
whole wheat flour and served with curry , pickle and/or a cup of
paratha is a very good way of eating your greens in a tasty dish.
Children love it too.
Sprinkle some chutney or spread some ketchup and make a roll and it is ready to eat or to pack in kid's lunch box.
Methi paratha - Fenugreek flat bread
It can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a perfect food to
take for lunch or
as picnic food as it is good to eat even after a few hours.
How to make Methi Paratha
Main ingredients for Methi Paratha
whole wheat flour - Atta
Fresh Methi - Fenugreek leaves
Ingredients to make 6 methi parathas:
- Whole wheat flour -2 cups.
- Fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves - 2 cups.
or melted butter - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1/4 tsp red chilli
- Water for forming dough.
- Oil for basting.
Step by step instructions for making Methi ParathaCooking Method
- Chop finely methi leaves.
- Mix together flour, salt, chopped methi leaves,
oil or butter.
- Add water little by little and from dough. Knead well.
- Cover and leave aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After that knead again and then
make 6 round balls.
- Take each ball, dip in dry flour.
- Sprinkle a little
flour on the board. Place the dough
ball on it and roll out into a thick round of about 4-6 inches.
girdle/tava. After it is heated well, turn heat to medium.
- Put the rolled
round on the tava. Cook for 5-8 seconds.
- Turn. Baste with oil.
- Cook on both the sides adding a little oil.
Both the sides should have brown spots on them.
- Transfer to a closed container.
- Apply a little ghee or
butter on top if you wish and keep covered till serving time .
Serve hot by itself of with any curry, pickle
and yogurt or tomato ketchup .
Tips and variations
You can make the dough and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days and quickly make parathas as
and when you want.
- You can add garam masala , Til(sesame seeds), jeera powder(cumin powder), grated onion for
variation to this recipe.
Go to Paratha recipes
Go to Indian Breads page from Methi Paratha
Go to Vegetarian