Methi dal - Fenugreek leaves dahl recipe
This methi dal - fenugreek leaves dahl'
is a simple and easy recipe.
I like methi - fenugreek leaves and I think this is a yummy way to eat the greens and get the
nutrients such as iron.
In winter season, methi / fenugreek is available in plenty. So that is the right time to make methi / fenugreek recipes.
You may use the methi - fenugreek leaves along with the tender stems for this dal recipe.
Methi dal - fenugreek leaves dahl
You may cook methi - fenugreek dal on the stove top in a pot/pan if you wish.
You may use pressure cooker for cooking methi - fenugreek dal recipe as that really saves
I am using masoor dal with methi leaves today. But you may use moong dal or toor dal or a mixture of dals.
This methi - fenugreek dal recipe goes well with plain steamed rice or any flat breads such as chapatti, paratha, nan etc.
You can see below two methods
Cooking methi - fenugreek dal using pressure cooker.
Cooking methi - fenugreek dal on the stove top.
How to cook methi dal - fenugreek dahl in pressure cooker
Ingredients to cook dal for 4 servings:
fenugreek - methi dal ingredients
- Masoor dal - 1/2 cup
- Methi / fenugreek leaves, chopped - 1/2 cup or more
- Water - 2 cups or more
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera powder(Cumin seed powder) - 1/2 tsp
- Dhania powder (coriander seed powder) - 1 tsp
- turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Sugar or gud (jaggery) - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
Ingredients for tempering
- Green chili - 1 , slit in two
- Tomato - 1 medium sized, chopped
- Curry leaves -
- Garlic flakes - 4-5 chopped
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- Rai / Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
Method 1 - Cook fenugreek - methi dal in pressure cooker
- Wash the dal and add to the pressure cooker along with 2 cups water
and chopped methi.
- Add the ingredients from dal to turmeric powder to
the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker and let it cook till 1
- Switch off and let cool.
- When the cooker has cooled, stir the dal
mixture, check for consistency.
- Add more water
- Add salt, tamarind pulp (if adding) , sugar or jaggery and let boil for 2-3
To make tempering - see the image below.
- In a pan, heat oil/ghee. Add mustard seeds. Let splutter.
cumin seeds and all the other ingredients one after another. Take off
Add it to the mixture in pressure cooker. Mix well.
Serve hot with
plain rice or with any flat breads such as chapatti, nan, paratha etc.
Method 2 - Cook methi dal on the stove top in a pot / pan
If cooking dal on the stove top in a pot/pan, wash and soak dals for 15-20 minutes
before cooking. This will reduce cooking time. You may also cook dal without soaking.
- Add 2 cups water to the pan along
with washed dal.
- Bring to boil and cook till just done. This will take about 10-12 minutes for masoor and moong dal. If using toor dal, it will take about 20-25 minutes.
Or you may cook dal in a separator in the pressure cooker and then follow the process given below.
While the dal is cooking, make the tempering and cooking the methi leaves as given below.
Heat oil/ ghee in a pan/kadai in which you are planning to make dal.
Add mustard and cumin seeds and hing/asafotida.
When they stop spluttering, add chopped methi/fenugreek leaves. Stir and cook
for 2 minutes or till the leaves look wilted which will take only 2-3
You may cover and cook methi leaves for 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes, if adding. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes till tomatoes start to lose shape.
Add cooked dal, all the spices, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt.
Add jaggery / sugar if adding. Stir well and add water according to the required consistency. It should not be watery. Dal is usually a bit thick.
Cook for 4-5 minutes. Take off fire.
Serve hot with rice, roti etc.
Which dal to use?
For this methi - fenugreek and lentil recipe, you
can use split mung bean (mung dal or green gram dal) or red lentil(masoor dal) or split yellow lentil/ toor dal/tuvar dal/arahar dal.
- You can use
any one dal mentioned or a mixture of all the three dals.
If you are using a mixture of the three dals, remember that mung dal and masoor dal cook
faster than toor dal.
- So washing and soaking toor dal for 15-20 minutes before cooking is
better. That way all the three dals will get cooked at the same time.
- Fresh lemon juice may be added instead of tamarind juice. Lime juice
should be added after the heat is off and dal is
to Vegetable recipes page from Methi dal - fenugreek Dahl recipe
to Lentil Recipes Page from Methi Dal
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from methi Dal - fenugreek Dal