Flour Thalipit Recipe
Thalipeet - Sorghum bread
Jowar flat bread - Millet Bread
Jowar flour thalipit or Jwariche Thalipit or thalipeet is an Sorghum flat bread made with jowar from The western
state of Maharashtra and in North Karnataka.
It is generally made from millet flour(known
as jowar or sorghum).
You can also use a mixture of flours such as finger millet flour, rice flour, wheat
flour etc which will make it more nutritious. Whichever way you make thalipit, it is tasty. It is
easy and quick recipe.
You can mix the jowar flour dough and keep it in a fridge and use it for two or three days.
The cooking time is only a couple of minutes.
It is a good dish to serve for breakfast or a snack or to take for lunch.
Adding onion is optional. Instead of or along with onion, you may add cucumber or carrot.
Serve it with some butter or ghee or curd(plain yogurt) and your
You may also serve it by itself as no other
accompaniment is needed.
How to make Jwari Thalipeet - Sorghum Flat bread
Ingredients for 2 thalipits:
Sorghum Jowar thalipit dough
- jowar / sorghum flour - 1 cup
- Red chili
powder - 1/2 tsp
- Hing(asafoetida) - 1/4th tsp.
- Water to mix and form
- Jeera (cumin) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Haladi (turmeric) powder - 1/4 th tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion(optional) - 1/2 cup finely chopped
leaves(cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped
Preparation before cooking
- Mix all the ingredients except oil in a bowl.
- Add water little by little
and mix till it forms a dough ball.
- Divide the dough in two parts.
Cooking thalipeet Method :
- On a flat gridle/tava/skillet, spread 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Place one dough ball on the oil and pat into a round shape.
- Make 4-5 holes in the round with your finger. Put a drop of oil in these depressions.
- Place the girdle on a high flame. This is done to heat the girdle quickly. Cover with a lid.
- When it is hot, turn the flame to medium and cook for a minute.
- Remove lid and turn over with a spatula.
- Cook again for a minute.
- Remove from fire.
Make the other thalipit the same way.
Thalipit is ready to serve.
It is generally served with a dollop of butter or a spoonful of
ghee(clarified butter), coconut chutney or with a dry chutney powder.
jowar thalipit sorghum roti with butter
- Use a mixture of jowar flour - 1 cup, wheat flour - 1/2 cup, besan(gram
flour) 1/4 cup. All other ingredients remain same.
- You may make it
without adding onion.
- You may add grated cucumber or carrot. If and when
you add grated cucumber, you may not need any additional water
To Snack Recipes page from Jowar flour Bread - Thalipeet
To Breakfast Recipes page from Sorghum Bread - Thalipit
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Home page from Thalipit