Mixed Vegetable Eggplant curry
This eggplant curry
is made in the state of Maharashtra and in the northern part of
Karnataka. If you like eggplant and wonder 'how to cook eggplant' in a
different way, this
recipe is your answer. If you like a curry with lots of gravy, this
curry recipe is for you.
Eggplant is also called brinjal. In other Indian languages it is vangi(Marathi),
Badnekai (Kannada), baingan (Hindi) etc. And this recipe is 'vangyachi rasbhaji' in Marathi.
You can also add other vegetables such as green peas, cauliflower, cabbage, carrot etc. to this curry recipe
according to what is available in the fridge and your preferences.
You can use any kind of eggplants for this recipe, purple, green, long,round etc.
How to cook Eggplant curry:
Main ingredients for vegetable eggplant curry
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Ingredients for vegetable brinjal curry to serve 4-5
Eggplants (Brinjals) - 2 cut in big pieces.
- Potatoes - 2 cups cubed
- Onions - 2 cups cubed
- Water - 1 cup or more
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp or more
- Jaggery - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Ingredients for tempering
- Curry leaves / kadhi patta - 7-8
- Mustard seeds / rai - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds / jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida / hing - a pinch
- Turmeric / haldi powder -1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Other vegetables such as green peas, cabbage, carrots - 1 tbsp each
- Tomato - 1/2 cup chopped
- Grated fresh coconut - 1 tbsp
- Powdered roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 pods, chopped fine or 1/2 tsp garlic paste
Cooking eggplant curry:
- Heat oil, add mustard, cumin seeds.
- When they stop crackling , add asafetida, curry leaves, turmeric powder.
- Add onions. Fry for a minute.
- Add potatoes and other vegetables (if adding any) , fry again. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add brinjals. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on low fire.
- Add spices and everything else including water. Stir.
- Cover and cook for 10 min or till eggplant is cooked soft but not mushy, on low fire.
- Check for the thickness of the gravy. Add more water if needed.
Serve hot with chapati ,
This will keep in fridge for 2-3 days. Heat and serve when you want.
About Peanut Powder :
The Maharashtrian recipes use more peanuts(also called groundnut or singdana/ shengdana).
Peanuts are roasted well, cooled and ground to coarse powder.
Go to how to roast and powder peanuts
This powder can keep for a month or more.
This peanut powder is used in many salads, curries and vegetable preparations.
It is used instead of fresh coconut or along with it. It adds a distinct flavor to the dish.
to Eggplant RecipesPage from Eggplant - Brinjal curry
Go to Vegetable Recipes Homepage from Eggplant curry Recipe
Go to Vegetarian recipes
site homepage from eggplant curry recipe