Potato green tomato curry recipe
potato green tomato curry recipe is easy curry recipe. Tomatoes and
potatoes cook fast so making this doesn't take a long time. You can make
this in about 15 minutes, including chopping.
are many recipes where we use ripe red tomatoes. Green tomatoes are not
so commonly used.
In fact many people do not like green tomatoes but I
think that is because they do not know many green tomato recipes. In case you are one of them, I am sure you will start liking green tomatoes after you try this recipe.
This curry uses very few spices, actually only one, but tastes great. Try out this potato green tomato recipe.
How to make potato green tomato curry
Main ingredients for potato and green tomato curry
potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Raw green tomatoes
Roasted peanuts - Groundnuts
Ingredients for potato and green tomato curry to serve 4
Potatoes 2 - (about 1 cup) cut in cubes
Green tomatoes - 5-6 - cut in large piecesRoasted and powdered peanuts - 1 tbspFresh green coriander leaves, chopped - 1 tbspRed chili powder - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.Grated fresh coconut (optional) - 1 tbspSalt - 1/2 tspGud / jaggery - 1or 2 tsp or according to tasteVegetable oil - 1 tbspMustard seeds - 1/2 tspCumin seeds - 1/2 tspCurry leaves - 4-5Turmeric powder -1/4 tspHing / asafetida - a pinch
Method to make potato and green tomato curry
spices for potato green tomato curry
- Heat a kadai(wok/deep pan) and add vegetable oil to it.
- When oil is hot, add hing, mustard and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- When they stop spluttering, add curry leaves, turmeric powder and potato cubes.
- Mix and cover and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped green tomatoes, mix and cover.
- Cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add gud/jaggery, salt, red chili powder, about 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook till potatoes are just done (for about 2-3 minutes)
- Add the roasted and powdered peanuts and fresh coconut (if adding).
- Mix well and cook further till tomatoes are just done.
- Adjust the consistency according to your liking. Add a little water if necessary.
- Cook for another minute and add the chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Take off fire and the potato and green tomato curry is ready to serve.
Potato and green tomato curry can be served hot or at room temperature with plain rice, chapati, and poori, dosa and uttapam.
Even though only red chili powder is used, this curry is yummy.
This will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
- The quantity of gud / jaggery will depend on the sourness of green
tomatoes. I like this curry to be a little on sweetish side. You may
adjust according to your taste.
- For variation, you may add chopped onion. Add it as soon as the
mustard and cumin seeds stop spluttering. Fry till onions are
transparent and then add the potatoes. I usually prefer to make this without onions.
- If you want it spicy, add 1/2 tsp garam masala or your favorite
- You may also add 1/2 tsp roasted coriander and cumin seed
- You may add chopped garlic or garlic paste.
- Instead of or along with roasted ground nuts (peanuts), add roasted and powdered sesame seed powder. That tastes great too.