Potato Curry Recipe - Potato with Gravy
Potato Recipes - Batata Rassa
Potato Curry is called Aloo bhaji or Potato Subji or Batata rassa.
This is a very quick and easy to make potato
Potato is known as alu, aloo or batata in Indian languages. This is a curry with gravy(rassa means gravy). You can also make a dry potato side dish with potatoes as explained here in
Potato Dry Subji - Aloo Bhaji
potato curry - Batata Rassa
You can add fresh green peas, carrots, cauliflower, french beans to this curry for variation.
Or add Maharashtrian goda masala instead of garam masala. That tastes good too.
You can use this curry to
make kolhapuri misal too. Just cut the potatoes in smaller pieces and make it as spicy as you want.
This curry, made with potatoes is a good accompaniment with any Indian Bread, such as
Chapati , Phulka ,
Poori , Dosa - Indian Vegan Pancake
You can also serve for this batata rassa for a quick dinner with pav bread or sliced bread. Toast the pav bread or the bread slices if you wish. You may apply a little butter too. Try this too when you do not have time to cook dinner. I am sure you have the main ingredients on hand.
How to make Potato curry - Batata Rassa?
Main ingredients for potato curry - batata rassa
potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Red ripe tomatoes
Ingredients for Potato curry
Preparation before making potato curry :
- Potatoes - 4 Boiled.
- Onion - 1 large, chopped fine.
- Tomatoes - 2 large, chopped
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Ginger paste 1/4 tsp.
- Garlic (optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to taste.
- Garam Masala - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) : a pinch.
Boil Potatoes. Peel and cube them.
- Chop onions and tomatoes
- Cut green chilies in pieces.
Cooking potato curry:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida(hing).
- Add chopped onion, fry till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes start losing their shape.
- Add ginger/garlic paste, curry leaves. stir.
- Add cubed potatoes, salt, 1 cup water, garam masala, red chili powder.
- Stir. Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Check if potatoes are done to your liking.
- Add chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
Serve it with Indian Breads such as
- Indian Vegan Pancake etc.
You might like these
This Lentil recipe is an easy one using mung beans. You can also make this lentil curry with other types of lentils or beans. It is served with rice or roti etc.
This eggplant curry is a tasty accompaniment to your meal. If you are wondering how to cook eggplant today.
Chickpea curry recipe is Indian Curry. Also known as chana masala, or chole masala. It is a popular chickpea recipe. Made with whole white chickpeas known as kabuli chana or garbanzo beans.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.