Potato masala Aloo subzi Batata bhaji recipe
Batata - Aloo Bhaji
- Aloo subji
Potato masala Aloo subzi Batata bhaji recipe with step by step instructions video as well as written instructions. This is a very quick and
easy to make vegetable side dish if you have boiled potatoes ready.
This Potato fry dish, is a good accompaniment with any Indian Bread,
chapati, Poori or with
Dosa, the Indian Vegan Pancake.Addition of this aloo subzi makes it Masala dosa.
Click here to Watch Video
You may boil the potatoes in a pot of water or cook potatoes in a pressure cooker. I find cooking potatoes easier in the pressure cooker as I do not have to watch if the potatoes are cooked properly.
Potato masala is served in restaurants as well as in Indian homes with Indian Breads
In many homes, this potato subji is the favorite accompaniment for chapati and poori.
Once you have this potato subji ready, you can use it in many dishes such as frankie.
If you like potatoes, you are going to like this potato bhaji.
to make Potato Masala - Aloo Subji - Batata bhaji
Main ingredients for potato recipe - Batata Bhaji
chopped onion - kanda - pyaj
Ingredients for potato bhaji - aloo bhaji for 2 servings
Potatoes - 1 cup boiled till just done.
- Onion - 1/2 cup, chopped fine.
- Green chilies - 2 or 1 tsp chili paste
- Ginger, paste or finely chopped 1/2 tsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to
- Garlic(optional) chopped or paste - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil -1tbsp.
seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) : 1/4 tsp
Step by step instructions for making potato subji - Aloo bhaji
- Boil Potatoes. Peel and cube or lightly mash potatoes.
- Cut green chillies in pieces or make into paste. I am using chili paste in this recipe.
boiled and cubed potatoes
Potato masala - aloo bhaji Cooking method :
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida (hing)
- Add urad dal and fry till dal becomes light brown.
- Add chopped onion. Fry for 2 minutes or till onion becomes transperant.
- Add green chilli pieces or paste. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and mix
- Add ginger/garlic paste, chili paste and curry leaves. stir.
- Add cubed / mashed potatoes, salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
Potato subji is ready to eat.
Serve it with Indian Breads such as
Tips and variations
You may chop boiled potatoes or mash them roughly. Your choice.