Dal methiche varan with sandgi mirchi
Toor Dal Methi seed Varan + spicy stuffed chilli
This Toor Dal methiche varan / Dal Methi seed Varan is a simple and easy recipe. It is a Maharashtrian recipe. This is the way my mother makes it.
This dal methi varan goes well with plain steamed rice or any flat breads such as chapatti, paratha, nan etc.
How to cook toor dal methiche varan using pressure cooker
Main Ingredients to cook dal for 2-3 servings:
Yellow Pigeon peas - Toor - Arhar dal
fenugreek - methi seeds
- Pigeon peas (turdal)- 1/2 cup
- fenugreek(methi) seeds - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves chopped
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Water 2 cups or as consistency needed
- Sandgi mirchi - 1 or 2 , gives special flavor
- Kokum / Amsool - 1or 2, to add sourness
- Fresh grated coconut or dried kopra - 1 tbsp
Ingredients for tempering
- Oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili - 2
- Sandgi mirchi (stuffed spicy chili - 2, cut in two pieces
- Curry leaves -
Method to cook dal methi varan
- Wash 1/2 cup toor dal, add 2 cups water and 1tbsp methi seeds.
- Keep aside for 20-30 minutes if you have time.
cooked arhar / toor dal - pigeon peas
I cook toor dal in the pressure cooker in a separator along with
- You may cook directly in the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker and let it cook for 2
- Switch the cooker off and let cool naturally.
cooked and mashed arhar dal - toor dal - pigeon peas
- When the cooker has cooled, stir the dal
mixture, check for consistency.
- Mash up the dal with a back of a spoon / laddle.
- Add more water
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai/pan.
- Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Let splutter.
- Add both red and spice stuffed chili and fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped garlic, curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Add 2-3 kokum pieces.
- Add mashed dal and methi mixture.
- Add water according to the consistency you want.
- Bring to boil.
Add salt and jaggery/ gud.
- Add red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
Boil for 4-5 minutes on medium low flame.Stir occasionally.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Dal methi varan is ready.
Serve hot with
plain rice or with any flat breads such as chapatti, paratha, bhakri, nan, etc.
Tips and variations
- You may crush garlic a little instead of chopping.- Add more water if necessary. This dahl is a bit thick usually. Do not add too much water.
- Add coriander/cilantro leaves in the end.- You may use pressure cooker for cooking this dal recipe as that really saves
- You may also cook it on the stove top in a pot/pan if you wish.
- Whether you are cooking in pressure cooker or on the stove top,
washing and soaking toor dal for 15-20 minutes reduces
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.