Tomato Curry - Tomato Gojju
South Indian Recipe - Karnataka Recipe
Tomato curry, known as Tomato Gojju is a South Indian recipe from the
state of Karnataka.
Gojju is easy to make recipe using only a few spices. It is also a
quick recipe as tomatoes cook fast.
It will take you only 10-15 minutes
to make this side dish including the chopping time.
Tomato curry - Tomato gojju
I always have onions and tomatoes on hand as I use them a lot in my cooking. When no other vegetables
are available, I make this tomato gojju.
You can serve it with any
Indian bread or
You can serve this wonderful curry with chapati,
The coconut and the poppy seeds paste adds to taste and thickness of the
gojju but you can omit it if you wish.
You may use desiccated coconut instead of fresh coconut. Soak the desiccated
coconut in warm water for about 10 minutes before grinding.
How to Make Tomato Curry - Tomato Gojju?
Main ingredients for tomato gojju - tomato curry
Red ripe tomatoes
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Ingredients for tomato gojju or tomato curry for 4 servings
- Tomatoes - 3 cups chopped
- Onions - 1 cup chopped finely
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
- Green chilies - 2 or more according to taste
- Ginger paste - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 tsp or to taste
- A little water
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus) - 1 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing - 2 Table spoons
Preparation before making tomato gojju:
- Soak poppy seeds in a little water for 10-15 minutes and grind
finely with the grated coconut.
- Slit green chilies lengthwise.
Cooking tomato curry - tomato gojju
- Heat oil in a deep pan / kadai.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering add
- Saute for about 4-5 minutes or till onions become transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add jaggery and salt and the ground
coconut/poppy seed paste.
- Add a little water if needed. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes are soft.
- Add the chopped cilantro. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Serve hot or warm or at room temperature with any
Indian bread. It is best served with Naan,
Chapati, Poori or Dosa.
Tips for serving and variations
- You may use rasam powder or sambar powder instead of green chilies. Both taste good. The taste will vary accordingly.
- You can serve tomato gojju as a topping for pizza.
- It can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat before serving.
- It is a good accompaniment to your chapattis or parathas in the lunchbox, to office or to school.
Go to onion recipes
Go to more tomato recipes
to Curry recipes page From Tomato Curry
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site HomePage from tomato curry