Tomato curry, known as Tomato Gojju is a South Indian recipe from the
state of Karnataka.
Tomato Gojju is easy to make recipe using only a few spices. It is also a quick recipe as tomatoes cook fast.
It will take you only 10-15 minutes to make this side dish including the chopping time.
I always have onions and tomatoes on hand as I use them a lot in my cooking. When no other vegetables are available, I make this tomato gojju.
The coconut and the poppy seeds paste adds to taste and thickness of the gojju but you can omit it if you wish.
You may use desiccated coconut instead of fresh coconut. Soak the desiccated
coconut in warm water for about 10 minutes before grinding.
Ingredients for tomato gojju or tomato curry for 4 servings
Ingredients to grind -
Preparation before making tomato gojju:
Soak poppy seeds in a little water for 10-15 minutes and grind
finely with the grated coconut and roasted gram into a fine paste. Keep aside. You may add a piece of green chili in this grinding mix if you wish.
Slit green chilies lengthwise. Chop tomatoes and onions.
1. Heat oil in a deep pan / kadai. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
When the seeds stop spluttering, add urad dal, hing (asafotida), turmeric powder. Fry till urad dal turns light brown.
2. Add green chilies and fry till chili skins look blistered (with white spots).
3. Add chopped onions and ginger paste. Fry.
4. Fry till onion changes color. Saute for about 4-5 minutes or till onions become transparent.
5. Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add jaggery and salt and the ground coconut/poppy seed paste. Add the chopped cilantro.
Add a little water if needed. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes are soft.
7. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Tomato gojju / Karnataka tomato curry is ready to serve with chapati, poori, dosa etc.
Tips for serving and variations