Sambar Powder - Sambar Masala
South Indian Spice powder for lentil curry
or sambar masala is a spice mix used in the South Indian home everyday as sambar is made
everyday. It is also referred to as sambar podi or sambar pudi or sambar
This south Indian lentil curry powder can be prepared and stored for 6 to 12 months.
You can also buy the ready powder but then you are missing the fun and the
lovely aroma of the freshly made sambar masala.
Sambar Masala Powder
Sambar is a South Indian lentil curry made with yellow lentils and vegetables such as
onions, tomatoes, drumsticks, brinjal(eggplant), white pumpkin and many other vegetables of your choice.
Sambar is generally made using pigeon pea(called toor dal or arhar dal)and vegetables.
It is a side
dish served with plain rice or with Idli(rice cakes) or Dosa.
Making this sambar powder
in advance will help you in getting your sambar done fast.
How to make Sambar Powder
Main ingredients for sambar powder
Dhania - coriander seeds
Jeera - Cumin seed
red chili powder
chana dal - split chickpeas
methi - fenugreek seeds
Ingredients for sambar masala:
- Coriander seeds(dhania) - 1 cup
- Cumin seeds(jeera) - 3 tablespoons
- Chana dal(Bengal gram dal) - 2 tablespoons
- Urad dal(black gram dal) - 1 table spoon
- Black pepper seeds - 1 table spoon
- Red chili powder - 3 table spoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 ½ teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds(methi) - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder(haldi) - 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida (hing) - ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves - 2 table spoons
Step by step instructions for Making Sambar Powder:
- Dry roast all the items separately on low flame
except chili powder,turmeric and asafoetida .
- Grind together with turmeric powder, chili powder and asafetida to a fine
- Store in an airtight jar.
- You can use this sambar powder as and when you want for up to one year.
Now after learning to make sambar pudi, go ahead and
make sambar. Your family
is bound to love it.
Tips and variations
Sambar powder is not just used to make sambar but you may also use it to make some vegetable curries such as Tomato Gojju.
You might like these
Metkut metkoot menthya hittu recipe, Maharashtrian, Karnataka traditional recipe. Accompaniment for plain rice.
Indian tea masala chai masala powder recipe, Chai masala gives you warmth and health during the cold winter months and during rainy season. Good for digestion.
Karnataka vangi bhaat powder masala recipe
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.