Onion Curry - Erulli gojju recipe
Karnataka Onion Curry - South Indian Recipe
This onion curry is a South Indian curry recipe. It is known as Onion / Erulli Gojju and is from the southern state of Karnataka. Erulli means onion in Kannada language.
I always have onions at home as I use them a lot in my cooking. When no other vegetables
are available, I make this onion gojju.
This onion gojju curry is a bit spicy and very tasty curry. It is served with
Steamed Rice ,
a variety of indian breads
You may use white or red onions for this curry.
Ready onion curry - Erulli gojju
to Make Onion Curry - Onion Gojju - Erulli Gojju
Main ingredients for Onion Gojju for 4-6 servings
Ingredients for irulli gojju - onion curry
- Onions - 4-5 large, about 3 cups finely chopped.
Powder - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Jaggery (gud) - 2/3 tea spoons, more or less according to taste.
- Tamarind (imli) - small lime sized or tamarind extract
- Coriander(cilantro) leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
- Poppy / khuskhus seeds - 1 tsp, soaked in water
- Dalia / puthane/fried gram powder - 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric (haldi) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafotieda / hing - 1/4 tsp1
- Curry leaves - 8-10 leaves
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
Preparation before cooking onion curry - Erulli gojju
- Grind poppy seeds (if using) and coconut to fine paste adding a little water.
tamarind in water for 10-15 minutes. Extract juice, keep aside.
Cooking Method for onion curry - onion gojju
Step 1 - Heat oil in a deep pan. Add the tempering ingredients one by one. First, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they stop
spluttering, add asafoetida, chana dal and urad dal. Stir and add turmeric powder, curry leaves.
Step 2 - Add chopped onions and mix well. Keep stirring once in a
Step 3 - Cook onion for about 5-6 minutes or till onions turn transparent and soft as shown below.
Step 4 - Add 1/2 cup water and cover
with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
Step 5 - Add tamarind juice, jaggery, rasam powder, salt, grated coconut and coriander leaves. Add coconut and poppy seeds paste if adding. Add puthane/dalia powder if adding. This will make the curry thicker.
Add water as necessary to get desired consistency. I added 1/2 cup.
Cook for 5- 6 minutes more.
Step 6 - Take off the flame. Keep covered till serving time.
Irulli Gojju - Onion curry is ready to serve with
You may serve it hot or at room temperature. You may keep this in the fridge for 3-4 days and heat and serve as and when you want.
- You may use Sambar
Powder instead of rasam powder for variation.The curry will thicken.
- You may use tamarind extract or tamarind powder instead of tamarind to save time.
- Add more jaggery if you like sweetish taste. I like it a bit sweetish. White onions are likely to be sweetish compared to red onions.
- Adding puthane/dalia/fried gram powder will make the curry with thicker gravy so add the necessary amount of water.