Green Tomato Chutney
This green tomato chutney is my mother's recipe. This chutney is good to serve with rice as well as
or any other type of roti. It will keep good for 4 - 5 days.
is one of my favorite chutney recipes. It has a lovely green color of
the unripe green tomatoes.
Green tomato chutney
wonderful aroma of roasted sesame seeds attracts you and the chutney
has that flavor too. You may add
roasted peanuts too along with sesame seeds or instead of sesame seeds.
How to make green tomato chutney
Main ingredients for green tomato chutney
Til - Sesame seeds
Ingredients to make 1 1/2 cup green tomato chutney:
- Green tomatoes - 2 cups, chopped.
- Green chilies - 2 or more according to
- Sesame (til) seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Sugar or jaggery(brown sugar) - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
- Ginger (optional) - a small piece
Ingredients for seasoning:
Oil - 1 tsp
- Rai / Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Asafetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 4-5
Step by step instructions for making green tomato chutney
To make chutney:
- Heat a pan and Roast sesame seeds lightly. Remove from fire onto a plate and cool.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan. Add green chilies and green chopped tomatoes. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes are just done. Cool the mixture.
- Dry Grind the roasted sesame seeds.
- Add the tomato mix, salt, ginger, jaggery. Grind to paste.
To make tempering:
- Heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add hing/asafetida.
- Add the ground chutney paste to the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes till it thickens a little.
- Remove from fire. Cool.
Serve with rice or chapati or any other roti.
There is no need to add water to this chutney. If you add
water for thinner consistency, store the chutney in the fridge.
- Frying chutney after grinding is optional. Do it only if you want to thicken it.
- You may add roasted peanuts to this chutney along with or instead of sesame seeds.
to chutney recipes
from Green Tomato chutney
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Green