Tomato Chutney Recipe
This Tomato chutney Recipe is my mother's recipe. It is one of my favorite
recipes. It has a lovely red color and great taste.
This chutney is good to serve with rice as well as
or any other type of roti.
You can also use it as a sandwich spread for
breakfast or when you make it as a snack.
It will keep good for a week or more, it is a great convenience.
How to make tomato chutney
Main ingredients for tomato chutney
Red ripe tomatoes
Ingredients to make 2 cups tomato chutney:
- Ripe red tomatoes - 4 cups, chopped.
- Fresh or dry red chilies - 2-3 or more according to taste.
- methi (fenugreek) seeds - 1/4 tsp.
- sugar or jaggery(brown sugar) - 2 tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
- Ginger(optional) - small piece
- Garlic - 3-4 pods
- cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
Ingredients for tempering tomato chutney:
- vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 4-5
Step by step instructions for making tomato chutney:
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan. Add red chili, cinnamon, methi seeds.
- Fry for a few seconds.
Do not let the methi seeds burn.
- Add chopped tomatoes, garlic, ginger. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or till tomatoes are just done.
- Cool the mixture.
- Add salt, jaggery to the tomato mix and grind it to paste.
- Heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add asafetida.
- Add the chutney paste to the pan and fry
for a few minutes. when you get your desired consistency take off the fire.
Serve with rice or chapati or any other roti.
Tips and variations
There is no need to add water to this chutney. If you add
water for thinner consistency, store the chutney in the fridge.