Rava Idli recipe - South Indian Recipe
Breakfast or snack recipe
This Rava idli recipe is a south Indian steamed snack or breakfast recipe. It is easy
Rava or semolina idli is healthy as it doesn't need a much oil. You can make it still healthier by adding vegetables such as grated or
finely chopped carrots, french beans and green peas.
It looks colorful too when you add vegetables.
In the recipe below I am using carrots and green peas. If you plan to use french beans, chop them and steam
cook them till just done before adding to the batter.
How to make Rava Idli
Main ingredients for semolina - rava idli
Ingredients for making about 10 rava idli
- Rava(semolina) -1 cup
- Yogurt(a little sour is good) - 1 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup or as needed.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Carrot - 1/2 cup grated
- Green peas(optional) - 1/2 cup cooked
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Green chili - 1 chopped fine
- Coconut - 2 tbsp, Freshly grated
- Soda bi carb - 1/2 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6 chopped
- Bengal gram dal (chana dal) - 1 tsp
- Black gram dal(urad dal)- 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 4-5 chopped
Making rava idli
- Lightly dry roast rava for about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl add roasted and cooled rava, yogurt, salt, chopped coriander and
green chili, grated coconut, peas, carrots.
- Mix well to form a thick
batter without lumps. Check consistency.
- Add a little milk if needed. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds to the oil. When they stop crackling, add chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry a little, do not let it brown.
- Add curry leaves. Take off fire.
- Add chopped cashew nuts . Cool.
- Add to batter. Mix well.
- Just before making idli, add the soda bi carb and mix well.
- Add a ladleful of batter into a idli plates.
- Steam in a steamer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut
chutney and/or sambar
Tips and variations
If any batter is left over, keep it in the fridge and use within next two days.
You may add vegetables such as green peas, grated carrots, green beans etc.
For steaming idlies:
- If you have a steamer, use that.
- You may also use a pressure cooker without the weight for steaming idlis.
Or you may use any large pot that will hold your steaming idli stand and that you can cover.
- If you have a idli stand, use it or you may use small stainless steel bowls or small deep plates to put the batter in for
Go to Snack Recipespage from Rava Idli
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from rava idli