Pearl millet Bajra khichdi recipe
Also known as - Khichuri - Kedgeree - khichari
Pearl millet - Bajra khichdi recipe with a video and step by step written recipe.
Bajra khichdi is an easy rice recipe. It is a
Bajra is known as pearl millet, black
millet and green millet.
Indian languages, pearl millet is bajra (Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi and Bengali),
bajri (Rajasthani, Gujarati and Marathi), sajje (Kannada), kambu (Tamil), kambam (Malayalam) and sajjalu in Telugu.
Khichdi has some variations in spellings such as khichadi, khichri, khicharee, khichuri, khichari, kedgaree etc.
Bajra khichuri needs about 25-30 minutes to cook.
You can make this khichri in the pressure cooker. Below you will find
instructions to cook bajra khichari in a pot on the stove top.
Winter special Bajra - Pearl millet khichadi
Pearl millet - bajra
Bajra is mainly used in winter as it gives warmth to the body. Whole bajra is used to make khichadi.
Millet and lentils (moong dal) is a very healthy combination.
Bajra flour is used to make bhakri / roti (flat bread) by itself or
mixed with other flours to make roti, and to make a variety of snacks.
How to make bajra khichadi - pearl millet khichuri
Ingredients for bajra khichadi to serve 2-3
- Bajra - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal (split mung bean) - 1/2 cup
- Rice (optional)- 1/4 cup
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dhania (Coriander seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10-15
- Freshly grated coconut or kopra - 2 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste or finely chopped - 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1 1/2 - tsp or according to taste.
- Jaggery or sugar - 1 tsp or according to taste
- Pepper corns - 5-6
- Vegetable Oil + ghee - 1 tbsp each
- Chili (green or red) - optional - 2 or according to taste
- Water - 2 1/2 to 3 cups according to the consistency you want.
Preparation before cooking bajra khichari
- Grind bajra in your mixer. We want only to break up the grain, not
turn it into flour. It is ok if a few bajra grains remain whole. Keep
- Wash moong dal and rice. Keep aside.
How to make bajra khichadi on the stove top
- Heat a thick bottom deep pan.
- Add oil and ghee and heat it. Add
- When jeera splutter, add black pepper corns, cinnamon stick and
fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped chili, curry leaves.
- Add water and
ground bajra, rice, moong dal and all other ingredients.
- Stir and bring
to boil on high flame.
- Reduce flame and cover partially with a plate to
let the steam
escape. Continue cooking. (if you cover completely, the contents may
- Check in between and add more water if needed.
- Cook until
done to your desired consistency and all the water is absorbed. This
may take about 10-15 minutes.
- Switch of the flame and let rest for 5
minutes. Serve hot.
You may also use a pressure cooker. Khichadi will be done faster. After adding all the ingredients, cover with pressure cooker lid, put the weight and let cook for 2-3 whistles.
This khichadi needs a little more water to cook than the usual
moong dal khichdi with rice.
You can make it dryish (grains separate) or
soft as you wish. I like it to be a little soft.
In this bajra and moong dal khichdi, you may omit rice if you wish.
You may add your favorite vegetables such as beans, carrots, potatoes, green peas, cabbage, cauliflower etc.
You may also make it plain, mildly spicy or very spicy according to your taste.