Peanut chutney powder Recipe
Ground nut chutney
Shenga - Shengadana - Danyachi chutney
Peanut chutney powder or shengadana chutney or
groundnut chutney, what ever you call it, it is a very tasty chutney.
In other Indian languages, this groundnut or peanut chutney is called
shenga chutney (kannada), danyachi chutney (marathi).
Peanut - shenga chutney - Danyachi chutney crushed in a stone mortar
Peanut - shenga chutney - Danyachi chutney ground in a mixer/blender
Like other dry chutney powders
you can make it when you have time and serve it when you do not have
time to cook any accompaniment for your rice or chapati or with
It is very easy to make and can last for long and is so convenient to use. If you have roasted peanuts ready, you can make shenga chutney within 2-3 minutes.
You can store peanut chutney at room temperature. No need to store in the fridge. Just see for yourself.
to make Roasted Peanut chutney - Danyachi chutney
Main ingredients for shengdana chutney
Peanuts before roasting
Red chili powder - Lal mirch powder
Ingredients to make 1 cup Peanut chutney:
- Peanuts (groundnuts, shengdana) - 1 cup
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
These optional ingredients enhance the taste.
- Garlic pods - 6-10
- Gud (Jaggery) - ½ teaspoon
- Dry imli /tamarind - a little
- Dried curry leaves - 4-5
- Roasted cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Instructions to roast raw peanuts
- Heat a pan. Add peanuts to it and roast on low flame for 7-8 minutes.(Go to detailed instructions to roast peanuts)
- Remove from fire and cool completely.
- I do not remove the peanut skin but if you wish, you may skin peanuts.
today's peanut shenga chutney ingredients
Step by step instructions to make peanut chutney powder:
Add the peanuts to your mixer/blender and grind together all the
ingredients, chili powder, salt, garlic etc.
Grind for a minute. Grind to a coarse powder. Stop blender in between and check the consistency, scrape the sides, mix and grind again if necessary.
Do not grind it too much if you like to have a little crunchiness in your shenga chutney.
grinding peanut shenga chutney
Shengadana - peanut chutney is ready.
Peanut - shenga chutney - Danyachi chutni
Shenga peanut chutney using mortar & pestal
Shengadana chutney may also be pounded using a morter and pestle
instead of grinding in a mixer/ blender.
That is how traditionally dry
chutneys were made in the days before mixer/blender.
Any chutney, crushed using a mortar and pestal tastes better, in my opinion.
The method of pounding chutney gives better taste and texture as it releases the oil in peanuts, though
it needs more time and energy.
(You can always think of someone you are
angry with, while pounding the chutney. Works very well as a therapy).
When you do not have time or energy to pound a chutney, use mixer.
Storage and shelf life of shenga / peanut chutney
Store in an airtight container.
chutney will keep for a month or longer. Make sure that you roast the peanuts properly.
Tips and variations
- You may add some roasted copra along with peanuts.
- Add some puthane (dalia, gram).
- The red color of your chutney will depend on the type and quantity of the red chili powder you use.
- If you do not have dried curry leaves, roast a few fresh curry leave with or without oil and then use in the chutney.
to use peanut chutney - groundnut chutney - shenga chutney?
- Groundnut chutney is served with Indian breads such as jowar or bajra bhakri or rotti, chapati, dosa etc.
- Spread this chutney powder on buttered toast for breakfast or a snack.
- Add a little chutney to plain yogurt to use as a dip.
- Mix with plain steamed rice and a little ghee.
- Serve with rice, chapati, bhakri or any kind of paratha.
- Serve it with vada pav or dhokla or idli and dosa.
- Just put a pinch of shengadana chutney in your mouth when you feel like it.
- Shengadana chutney goes very well with
methi or palak paratha.
- Spread a little ghee on a paratha. Sprinkle some
shenga chutney on the paratha and make a roll.
- Kids love to eat
parathas like this. Pack these paratha- peanut chutney rolls in the lunch box
- Peanut chutney goes well with methi poori.
Go to Dry Chutney Recipes page from Peanut Chutney powder recipe
Go to Chutney Recipes page from Peanut Chutney powder recipe
Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from Groundnut Chutney powder