Hasi Majjige huli - Karnataka yogurt curry recipe
Vegetable and curd/ buttermilk recipe
Hasi Majjige huli recipe
is a basically cooked vegetables in yogurt and coconut sauce recipe. You could call it a yogurt (curd - dahi) curry too.
There is a vegetables cooked in yogurt/buttermilk version too. Hasi, meaning raw/uncooked, refers to the raw, uncooked yogurt.
Hasi majjige huli is vegetables in raw yogurt and coconut sauce. The vegetables may be raw or cooked.
So you may add chopped cucumber raw. but vegetables such as chayot, capsicum, snake gourd, bottle gourd, ash gourd (winter melon) are boiled and cooled before adding to the raw yogurt sauce.
Personally, I prefer this hasi majjige huli (raw yogurt curry) to the cooked majjige huli. I suggest you try both and then decide which version you like.
Cooked majjige huli is made as a part of festivals as well as wedding feast in the Southern state of Karnataka. It is known as mor kulambu in Tamilnadu.
Majjige huli is usually made thick.
You can serve it with plain rice, puliyogre, chapatti / roti etc.
You use plain curd (plain yogurt) or buttermilk to make majjige huli.
Add more or less water according to need.
The sourness of the majjige huli is of personal choice. Use fresh curd or
buttermilk if you do not want it to be sour. Generally, a little sourness
How to make basic majjige huli - vegetables in yogurt curry
Ingredients for majjige huli - vegetables in yogurt curry for 2-3 persons
chayote - seeme badanekai - vilayti vangi
yogurt - curd - dahi
roasted gram - hurigadale - puthani
- Vegetable pieces (I am using chayote) - 1 1/2 cups
- Fresh Plain yogurt (a little sour can be used if you prefer) - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped
Ingredients for the tempering
- Vegetable oil or ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Hing / asafetida - a pinch
- Green or red chilies - 1 or 2 according to taste
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Ingredients for grinding - see image below
- Fresh coconut - 1/2 cup
- Roasted gram - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Hing/ asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger(optional) - a small piece
- Green chili - 1 or more according to taste
Making hasi majjige huli - vegetables in yogurt sauce
- Add vegetable pieces and 1/2
cup water to a pan and bring to boil.
- Add a pinch of salt. Reduce flame
and let cook for 5 minutes or as needed.
- Cook till vegetable pieces are just done as you can see in the image.
- Do not let them become mushy. Keep aside to cool to room temperature.
Grinding coconut paste
- In the meanwhile, add fresh
coconut, green chili, salt, roasted gram (hurigadale), turmeric powder,
cumin seeds, hing (asafotida), ginger (optional) to the blender/mixer
- Grind to a paste.
- Add just enough water as needed to make a fine paste. . Keep aside.
Final mixing for hasi majjige huli - karnataka raw yogurt curry
- In a tadka pan, heat oil or ghee to make tempering.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they stop crackling, add hing, curry
leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Keep aside.
- Add the fresh yogurt/curd to a bowl. Add the ground paste and the cooked and cooled gourd pieces.
- Mix well. Check the salt and add if necessary. Remember, we added salt to cook vegetables and also while grinding.
- Add the tempering and mix well. Hasi majjige huli is ready to serve.
Hasi majjige huli - vegetables in yogurt sauce, Karnataka recipe is ready.
Keep aside till serving time. Serve within an hour or two or keep in the fridge if serving later. If kept longer at room temperature, the yogurt will turn sour.
Serve at room temperature with plain rice, puliogare(tamarind rice), nuchchinunde, moong dal khichadi or chapatti .
- Vegetables such as bhindi (okra), cucumber, gourds are added to majjige huli.
- You will first need to cook the
vegetables by sauteing in a little oil or boiling in water before adding to the ground curd mix.
Go to curry recipes from hasi majjige huli Karnataka raw yogurt curry recipe
Go to vegetable recipes
From hasi majjige huli recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Hasi majjige huli recipe