Roasted Gram Chutney Recipe
- Puthani - Hurigadale - Pottu kadalai - bhuna chana - putanalu pappu
gram chutney recipe is a easy dry chutney powder recipe. Make when you
have time and use at any time.
Roasted gram or bhuna chana is very commonly used in many snacks such as thin poha Chivda and also in fried poha chivda Tambittu unde / laddoo and you can also eat them as a snack by itself too.
puthani - roasted gram chutney powder
Indian language names for roasted gram:
Roasted gram or roasted chickpeasis known as Puthane dal (marathi) or hurigadale (kannada) or bhuna Chana (hindi) or dalia (gujarati), pottu kadalai (Tamil), putanalu pappu / pacchi senaga pappu (Telugu) in Indian language.
Roasted gram is available in Indian shops as seen in the image below.
Hurigadale - Puthane - Roasted chickpeas
Here we are using puthane / roasted gram to make dry chutney powder.
Puthani or roasted gram is also added to wet chutney to get good consistency and taste and bulk such as in coconut chutney.
How to make putani - hurigadale chutney powder?
Ingredients to make 1 1/2 cup Puthane chutney - Hurigadale chutney powder
Roasted gram chutney ingredients
- Puthane - (dalia - bhuna chana) - 1 cup
- Grated dry coconut(copra) or dessicated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
- salt - 1 tsp or to taste
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Dry tamarind - a little
- Jaggery - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic pods - 6-10, more or less according to taste.
Method to make dry roasted gram chutney:
- Lightly roast the grated coconut on low flame for a few minutes till
it is light brown. Roasting enhances the taste and flavor and also
preserves the chutney for a long time. If you are sure to finish the
chutney within 10 days you may omit roasting.
- Grind together the coconut and the other ingredients to a coarse powder.
Store in an airtight container.
puthani - hurigadale - roasted gram chutney powder
- It is better to grind the chutney a little coarse. I like that better than a too fine powder.
- You may add a table spoonful roasted groundnuts (peanuts) or til (sesame seeds) to this chutney.
- Dried curry leaves improve the taste and the nutritional value.
Go to Dry Chutney recipes
From Putani - hurigadale - pottukadale chutney recipe
Go to Chutney recipes
From roasted gram chutney recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From roasted gram chutney recipe