Flax seed Linseed Alasi Javas Chutney
Alashichi - Javasachi Chutney
This flax seed chutney powder recipe
is simple and easy to make.
You can store and use this chutney powder for more than a month.
After making this chutney powder, you can use it to make some variations which are given below.
Flax seed / linseed chutney / alsichi / javasachi chutney
Flax seeds - Linseeds - Alsi - Javas
In Indian languages flax seeds / linseed is known as Alsi (Hindi), Alsi / Javas (Marathi), Alshi (Kannada), kollu (Tamil),
Muthira (Malayalam ), ulavalu (Telgu), gahat etc.
Flax seeds - Linseeds - Alsi - Javas is commonly used in the South Indian States.
There are many health benefits of flax seeds.
How to make flaxseed - alsi chutney powder
Ingredients for flax seed - javas - alsi chutney
Ingredients to make 1 cup chutney podi
- flaxseed / linseed / alsi / javas - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds / til - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10 dry1/2 ts
- Garlic cloves - 8-10
- Salt - 1 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Red chili powder - 1tbsp, more or less according to taste.
- Grated dry coconut - Copra - 1/2 cup (didn't add today)
- Tamarind - small piece (didn't add today)
- Garlic cloves - 8-10 (added today)
- Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch (didn't add today)
- Jaggery - 1/2 tsp or according to taste. (didn't add today)
Roasting ingredients and making flaxseed / linseed chutney powder
We roast the ingredients one by one and keep them on a plate to cool.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add flaxseed / linseed and dry roast till it
changes color, about 6-8 minutes. But do not let it turn black. Remove
onto a plate to cool. The seeds will splutter so be careful.
- Dry roast sesame seeds/til. These will splutter too as they get roasted so be careful. Remove on to the plate.
- Roast grated copra if using.
- Dry roast curry leaves till they are crisp.
- When all the ingredients are cool, grind together to a fine powder.
You may also grind it a bit coarse if you prefer. Store in air tight bottle. It has a shelf life of more than a month.
Tips and variations
You may use dry red chilies instead
of red chili powder. Roast the red chilies till they are crisp but do
not let them turn black.
Once chutney powder is ready, you can use it in many variations to make your meal nutritious and healthy.
- You can serve this chutney podi with plain rice, chapatti, paratha, dosa, idli, uttapam poori etc.
- Sprinkle some chutney pudi on hot plain rice along with a little ghee and salt(optional).
- Add this chutney powder to your dry subjis and curries for better taste, to get good consistency and to make them healthy.
Flax seed chutney paste - serving with dosa, uttappam
- Mix 2 tbsp chutney powder
- with 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut,
- a little salt and
- 2-3 tbsp water.
- Grind all the ingredients to make into a chutney paste and serve with idli, dosa etc.
- You may add tadka / tempering with oil, mustard / cumin seeds, hing to
this chutney paste.
Flax seed chutney raita
Ingredients for raita
- 1 cup fresh yogurt,
- 2 tbsp flax seed chutney powder,
- 1/2 tsp sugar( or according to taste)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 finely chopped green chili (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together. Add water if necessary to adjust consistency to your liking.
- You may add tadka / tempering with oil,
mustard / cumin seeds, hing to this raita.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.