Potato Pancake Recipe - Potato Latke
Eggless potato pancakes
This Potato pancake recipe / Latke recipe
is a easy and quick recipe. If you have the ingredients, as soon as you
family feels like, you can make the potato pancakes.
The Jewish festival 'Chanukah or Ḥanukah - the festival of lights' is celebrated by lighting candles and eating oily / fried food.
Potato pancakes or potato latkes are made on the occasion of Chanukah with eggs. Here is the egg-less version of
the potato latkes.
Good for breakfast or a snack or lunch or dinner, potato pancake is a great at all times dish.
The ingredients are few and the method is simple.
So here we go and make some eggless potato pancakes.
to make eggless potato pancakes - Potato latkes?
Ingredients for potato pancakes - Potato latkes?
Potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Whole wheat flour - Atta
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Ingredients to make 4-5 potato pancakes
- Potatoes grated - 2 cups
- Onion grated - 1/4 cup
- Plain flour or whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Salt - 1 tsp or to taste.
- Milk and/or water - 1/2 cup or as needed
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda(optional) - a small pinch
- Mix together the grated potatoes, onion.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the potato onion mix to the flour mixture.
milk or water as needed. The potatoes and onions would release some
The batter should be of thick pouring consistency. Do not make it too
watery.Do not beat the mixture too much after you add the liquid. Just
Step by step instructions - Cooking Potato Pancakes
- Heat a frying pan / girdle or a nonstick pan / tava. Keep the heat
- Add a tsp of oil and spread it on the pan.
- Pour a big ladleful
of batter on the heated pan. Spread into a
thick circle. Do not make it too thin. The size and thickness will
depend on your liking and the size of your pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes
of till it is golden brown.
- Turn and cook the other side the same way.
- Take off the pan and serve.
Serve hot with your choice of fillings and accompaniment such as tomato
ketchup, jam, marmalade, chutney,
vegetable curry, your favorite relish etc.
I had it with coconut
chutney and it tasted wonderful.
For the Jewish Hanukkah, potato latkes are served with applesauce,
powdered sugar or sour cream.
Potato pancake - Potato latke
- You may grate potatoes by hand using a grater or use the grater in
- The batter should not be too thin. If you like softer
pancakes, spread the batter in a thicker and smaller round.
- You may make
4-5 at a time
depending on the size of your frying pan / tava.
- For crisp pancakes,
you can spread a little thinner circle.
- You may add an egg if you wish. If egg is added, no need to add
that pinch of soda.
- Mix and Make the pancake immediately after the
potatoes are grated. They change color, become black after some
time. Put them in cold water as soon as they are grated. squeeze the
potatoes well before using for pancakes.
Potato pancake - Potato latke