Vegetable Samosa Recipe
Vegan Snack Recipe
This vegetable samosa recipe is a very popular snack recipe.
Samosas are irresistible. They are generally served as snacks and it is a
quite a filling snack.
Samosa is originally from the North India but now it is a part of everyone's
recipe collection. It is popular not only in India but outside India too.
Aloo samosa - potato samosa
It is a favorite snack food served at parties and celebrations.
Kids and the teenagers love it.
Samosas are something that every one likes to eat at least once in a while.
You can make a lot, and serve when you want. Just heat in the oven before serving.
You can freeze them. Defrost them and heat before serving. Isn't that convenient?
How to make Vegetable Samosa
For stuffing vegetable samosa
- Potatoes boiled and cubed or roughly mashed - 2 cups
masala -1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Red chili powder -
1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Ginger paste - 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Green peas - 1/4 cup cooked
- Green chili, chopped fine or paste - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
Ingredients for samosa covering
- Plain flour - 1 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- oil - 1 tbsp
- water to form dough.
- Oil - for deep frying
Preparation for making samosa
Mixing covering dough
Mix flour, salt, 1tbsp oil.
- Add water little by little and form a tight
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in a bowl.
Preparing samosa filling
- Heat a small pan and lightly roast fennel seeds. Let them cool and then powder them roughly using a mortar and pestle or a small grinding jar, whichever method you find convenient.
- You may either roughly mash potatoes or cube them in small pieces. I usually roughly mash them leaving some pieces intact.
- Heat a frypan, add a tbsp oil. when the oil is heated, add fennel powder and stir for a few seconds. Switch the flame off.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, ginger paste/ or crushed ginger and green chili pieces or paste and salt to the fennel powder.
- Add the mashed potato. add chopped coriander leaves and green peas (if adding).mix well.
Samosa filling is ready.
Making Samosa Method:
- Take a lime sized ball of dough. Roll out in a circle of about 6"
diameter on a rolling board using a rolling pin.
- Cut the round into half.
Each half will make one samosa.
- Add a big tablespoonful of the stuffing
on one piece.
- Fold into a triangle, holding the stuffing in carefully.
- Press the
edges together to seal.
- Form all the samosas in the similar way.
- Heat oil
for frying. Keep the heat medium low.
- Add 3 or 4 samosas into the hot oil. How many you add will depend on the size of your pan and the oil in it.
- Fry on both sides till they are golden brown. Turn once in a while so that they are evenly fried and browned.
- Remove and drain well.
Aloo samosa - potato samosa
Serve hot with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney, mint chutney.
You can use only peas or potatoes if you wish.
You may also add beans,
carrots for variation.
Add cashew nut pieces, raisins to make it richer.
Fry samosas in batches so that they are evenly cooked. Do not add too many at a time.