Bharta - Eggplant bharta Recipe - Vangyache Bharit with yogurt / curd
Roasted Eggplant recipe - Baingan bhurta
Eggplant bharta - Baigan bharta(hindi) is vangyache bharit
in Marathi. It is made from
roasted eggplant (also called as brinjal, baigan(hindi), vangi(marathi),
I like eggplants / brinjals but I do not like to eat eggplant skins. I like this way of
cooking eggplant because I do not have to eat the skins. If you are like me, this is a perfect recipe for people like us.
This is a easy eggplant recipe and it is served with breads like
nan, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti).
It also goes very well with
plain steamed rice.
Go to North
Indian Baigan ka Bharta if you are looking for that recipe.
You will find two Baigan ka bharta recipes.
1. Baigan bharta with curd(yogurt) - scroll to find below.
2. Go to Baingan bharta with tamarind and jaggery
I am sure you will like both the variations. For both the recipes we use
Find here how
to roast eggplant on the stove top.
After the eggplant is roasted, remove carefully the blackened skin from the roasted
eggplant and mash the flesh with a potato masher or with a fork.
Use this mashed eggplant
for making the baigan bharta.
How to make Baigan Bharta with yogurt / curd / dahi
Ingredients for baingan bharta - roasted eggplant bharta
purple eggplant - brinjal - baingan - vangi
yogurt - Curd - Dahi
onion - pyaj- kanda
roasted eggplant - baingan
This is my mother's recipe.
Ingredients for baigan bharta (vangyache bharit) for 2-3 servings
- Roasted and mashed eggplant - 1 cup
- Finely chopped onion - 1/2
- Garlic(optional) - 1/2 tsp paste or chopped finely.
- Salt - ½ tsp or
according to taste
- Fresh plain curd (yogurt) -1/2 cup
- Fresh coriander
leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely.
- Sugar(optional) - a pinch.
Ingredients for tempering:
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
chili or masala chili(sandgi mirchi) - 1 slit
- Hing (asafetida) 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Step by step instructions for making baigan bharta
Making baigan ka bharta - vangyache bharit
- Mix all the bharta ingredients in a bowl.
- Prepare tempering using the
ingredients given above and the method below.
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add split green chili, fry for a few seconds.
- Add hing, curry leaves. Take off fire.
- Cool slightly.
- Add to the mashed eggplant mixture and mix well.
Serve with chapatti or bhakri
(jowar / sorghum flat bread). This is served at room temperature.
- Add more fresh curd if you like.
- You can also add dry red chilies instead of green chili.
- You can use dried stuffed chili - methi mirchi (fry them in oil), in this bharta.
- Add the fresh curd about 15-30 minutes before serving.
- You can store this bharta in the
fridge without adding curd. It will keep for 2-3 days. Just add curd before serving.