Baingan Bharta - Vangyache bharit
Maharashtrian Chinch gulache vangyache bharit
This baingan bharta or vangayache bharit with tamarind is a Maharashtrian mashed eggplant bharta recipe.
It is known as chicnch gulache vangyache bharit. Chinch = tamarind, gul = jaggery in Marathi language.
Tamarind is used as a
souring agent. The trick is to balance the sourness of the tamarind and the sweetness
of the jaggery.
This is a easy eggplant recipe and it is served with flat breads like
chapati, roti, nan, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti).
You can also have it with plain steamed plain rice or mung dal Khichadi.
For this recipe we use roasted eggplant.
how to roast eggplant on
the stove top.
After the eggplant is roasted, remove skin from the roasted eggplant and mash the flesh with a
potato masher or with a fork or a slotted spoon.
Use this mashed eggplant for making the baigan ka bharta -
Chinch Gulache vangyache bharit
How to make baingan ka bhurta - vangyache bharit with Tamarind + Jaggery.
Main ingredients for Vangyache bharit
Ingredients for baigan bharta - vangyache bharit for 2-3 servings
- Roasted and mashed eggplant - 1 cup
- Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp
- Gud/ Jaggery (brown sugar) grated / powdered -
1 tbsp or more according to taste
- Salt - ½ tsp
or according to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
- Roasted and powdered
til (sesame seeds) or peanuts - 1 tsp powder
- Finely chopped onion - 1/2
- Freshly grated coconut - 1 tbsp.
- Garlic - 1/2 tsp paste or chopped finely.
Ingredients for tempering:
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
chili or red chili - 1 or more according to taste, slit in two
(asafetida) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Step by step instructions for making baingan bharta - vangyache chinch gulache bharit - eggplant bharta
- Soak tamarind in ½ cup warm water for 15-20 minutes.
- Mash and take out
- Add powdered jaggery in the pulp. Let it dissolve in it.
- Mix all the
ingredients in a bowl.
- Prepare tempering using the given ingredients
and the method below.
Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop
spluttering, add split green/red chili pieces, fry for a few seconds.
hing, curry leaves.
- If adding onion and garlic, add them now and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Take off fire.
- Cool slightly.
- Add to the eggplant
mixture and mix well.
Serve with chapatti or bhakri (jowar / sorghum flat bread), plain
steamed rice or khichadi.
This is served at room temperature or cold.
Tips and variations
- Add more or less tamarind pulp and jaggery according to your taste.
can also add dry red chilies instead of green chili.
- You can make this
bharta in advance as it is served at room temperature or cold.
- You can store it in the fridge
for 2-3 days.
- If adding onions and garlic, you may add them raw. If you do not like to add them raw, add them to the tempering after it is done and fry for a few minutes. Cool and then add the other ingredients.
to Eggplant RecipesPage from Baingan Bharta- vangyache bharit
to Vegetable Recipes
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Baigan Bharta