Baigan ka bharta - Roasted eggplant
How to roast eggplant
Baigan ka bharta
(Hindi) is basically a North Indian recipe but is made everywhere
now. I like this way of cooking eggplant because I do not like to eat eggplant skin.
It is made from roasted eggplant (also called as brinjal, baingan /
baigan (hindi), vangi(marathi), badnekai(Kannada), Katrikai(Tamil).
Baingan ka bharta - vangyache bharit
bharta with curd (yogurt), which I love.
There is also another recipe from Maharashtra which
is called 'chinch gulache vangyache bharit' in marathi. Try those recipes too.
You will like them if you
like brinjal / eggplant.
This is a easy eggplant recipe and it is served with breads like chapati, roti, nan, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti).
For this recipe we use Roasted eggplant. Find here
how to roast eggplant on the stove top.
After the eggplant is roasted, remove skin from the roasted eggplant and mash the flesh with
a potato masher or with a fork.
Use this mashed eggplant for making the baigan bharta recipe given below.
How to make baingan ka bharta
Main ingredients for baingan ka bharta
purple eggplant - brinjal - baingan - vangi
Onion - Pyaj - Kanda
Ingredients for baigan ka bharta for 2-3 servings
Roasted and mashed eggplant
- 1 cup
- Finely chopped onion - 1/2 cup
- Ripe tomato, chopped - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Fresh coriander
leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely.
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
- Garlic - 1/2 tsp paste
or chopped finely.
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp paste
or chopped finely
- Sugar or jaggary - a pinch.
- Garam masala - 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp, according to taste
Ingredients for tempering:
Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4
- Green/red chili - 1 or 2 slit
- Hing (asafetida) 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves -
Step by step instructions for making baigan ka bharta
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add split green/red chili, fry for a few seconds.
- Add hing, curry leaves. Add onion fry till onion turn transparent.
- Add garlic and fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry till oil separates.
- Add the mashed eggplant, salt. Mix well and Take off fire.
chapatti or bhakri (jowar / sorghum flat bread).
This is served hot or at room temperature.
Tips and variations
- You may add dry red chili instead of green chili.
- You need not fry
too long after adding the mashed eggplant as it is already cooked. It
is just to mix the flavors which won't take long.
- You can store this
bharta in the fridge. It will keep for 2-3 days.
to eggplant recipes
to vegetable recipes page from baigan ka bharta
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Baigan ka bharta