Green Tomato Bharta - Raita
This Raw Green Tomato Bharta - Raita easy to make. This bharta is good to serve with rice as well as
or any other type of roti. It will keep good in fridge for 4 - 5 days.
is one of my favorite bharta recipes. It has a lovely green color of
the unripe green tomatoes and it tastes awesome too.
How to make green tomato Bharta
Main ingredients for green tomato Bharta
Ingredients to make 1 1/2 cup green tomato bharta:
- Green tomatoes - 2 cups, chopped.
- Roasted peanut powder - 1 or 2 tbsp.
- Sugar - 1
tsp or as per taste
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
Ingredients for seasoning:
Oil - 1 tsp
- Rai / Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing / Asafetida - a pinch
Green or red chilies - 2 or more according to
- Curry leaves - 4-5
Step by step instructions - making green tomato bharta
chopped green tomato
Cooking green tomato
- Heat a pan.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan. Add green chilies and green chopped tomatoes. Fry for 2 minutes. If you wish, you may add the green or red chili to the tempering instead of now.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes are just done. Cool the mixture.
- Mash the cooked green tomato with a fork or a back of spoon or by hand. It is easier to mash while tomato is still warm.
- Add roasted peanut powder, salt, sugar
to the tomato mix.
- When completely cool, add fresh yogurt/curd.
- Add the tempering and mix well.
Serve with rice or chapati or any other roti.
To make tempering:
Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add hing/asafetida. Add green or red chili pieces now if you did not add while cooking tomato.
There is no need to add water while cooking tomatoes.
- You may add crushed roasted peanuts to this bharta instead of powder.
- You may add green chili while cooking tomato and mash it with tomato or add it to the tempering if you want to remove it before eating. If you are serving this bharta to kids or elderly, it is better to add chili to tempering and remove before serving.