Indian Potato Salad Recipe
Aloo bharta - Alu Raita Recipe
This potato salad is a easy and quick potato recipe. It is an Indian salad recipe. It is known as Aloo
bharta or aloo raita(Hindi) or batatyache bhrit((Marathi) in Indian languages.
Everyone loves potatoes. Boiling potatoes is one way to eat your potatoes without the bad effects of frying them in oil.
Fried potatoes taste good but are not good for your health if you eat them frequently.
If you have boiled potatoes ready, you can make this salad in two minutes. And you will have the salad ready to
serve as a side dish to rice or breads.
It is a filling healthy salad as it is made with boiled potatoes.
You can also make potato curry with boiled potatoes or make them into
a potato masala fry.
I am sure you will like this healthy salad made with potatoes.
How to make potato salad - Alu Raita - Aloo Bharta
Ingredients for potato salad - aloo bharta for making 3-4 servings
- Potatoes - 2 large.
- Plain Yogurt - 1 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar(optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Green chili(optional) - 1 , chopped fine
- Coriander leaves(cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped.
Ingredients for Seasoning
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing/Asafetida(optional)- a pinch
- Curry leaves(optional) - 4-5 leaves.
Optional ingredients for variation
- roasted cumin/jeera powder
- black pepper powder
- ginger paste
Making potato salad - aloo bharta - batata bharit
- Boil potatoes in water till they are done well or pressure cook the potatoes.
- Let cool and then remove skin.
- Mash the potatoes lightly or you can cube them in bite size pieces if you prefer.
- Beat the yogurt till it is smooth.
- Add the potatoes, salt, sugar, chili and coriander leaves to the curd. Mix well.
- Heat oil. Add cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add hing/asafetida and curry leaves if you are using them.
- Take off fire and let cool a little. Add to the salad and mix well.
Potato salad or aloo bharta is ready to serve. You can serve this salad at the room temperature or chilled.
- Pressure cooking potatoes for boiled potatoes saves time.
- I usually
have some pressure cooked potatoes in the fridge. I can use them for
this potato salad, potato curry, aloo paratha, batata vada etc.
- You may use some rai (mustard seeds) along with cumin seeds when you prepare the tempering.
- You may use homemade curd or store bought plain yogurt.
- This salad keeps good in the fridge for 2 days after adding
- It will keep for 3-4 days if you mix the other things and keep
it in the fridge. Just add the curd/yogurt just before serving.
- You may add roasted jeera(cumin)powder or chaat masala for variation.
- You may add a little ginger garlic paste to the curd for variation.