Oil Free Chickpea Curry - Chana Masala - Chole Without Oil
by Reena Nigam
Kabuli Chana is also known as Chickpeas or garbanzo beans in English. Generally we find curries using lots of fats; oil, butter or ghee.
This chickpea curry - Chana masala or chole recipe, does not use any oil and is still yummy.
How to make chickpea curry – Chana Masala – Chole without oil
Ingredients for oil less chickpea curry 250 gm chick peas (kabuli chana) 4 cloves, 1 spoon tea (any black drinking tea), 1 stick cinnamon, 1 spoon cumin seed, 1/2 spoon aniseed,7-8 black pepper, bay leaves 2 pc. or any garam masala of your own choice 1 spoon coriander seed, 1/2 spoon cumin seed, 2 red dry chilies, hing(asafetida) 1/4th spoon salt as per taste baking soda 1/2 tea spoon 2 medium size onion finely chopped 2 tomatoes finely chopped 2 tea spoon finely chopped green coriander
Cooking chana - chole Process:
- Soak the chana for 6-8 hrs or overnight. Then wash it and put the baking soda and 2 glasses of water and just wait for 1/2 an hour.
- Drain water and wash it again, so that soda will be washed out. (In this way chana chilka will not come out at the time of boiling and evenly cooked)
- Now put it in the pressure cooker with 3 glasses of water for 3 min. then reduce flame and cook for about 20 min. Now keep it aside and in its own pressure it will be cooked.
- Now make dry roast the spices mentioned in ingredients no.3 and powder them.
- Now in the pressure cooker itself mix the roasted and powdered spices, onion, tomato and coriander and cook for 5 min till the gravy becomes thick.
Fatfree Chola chana Masala is ready to eat. Serve it with poori, chapatti, paratha or plain rice.